Raleigh-Durham-CH Day/Futures/Options/FX Traders Message Board Trading Discussions › Daniel Duffy on Programming languages in Finance

Daniel Duffy on Programming languages in Finance

Dr. Jose' R.
Skeptic
Cary, NC
Post #: 737

English starting at 00:34 smile

Daniel Duffy pushes C++ and C#, no wonder, these are the languages he has books on: http://www.amazon.com...­
Don B.
DonBrady
Group Organizer
Cary, NC
Post #: 1,133
Yes, "don't put all of your your eggs in one basket" he says, but he seems to put most of his eggs in the basket of object-capable procedural languages, mostly ignoring the other kinds (except for one chart) .

C++ and C# certainly have major roles in finance, but so now also do functional languages, list-processing languages, and others, depending on the problem at hand. What is ideal for processing tick data in real time is likely far less ideal for exploratory statistical analysis.

But I guess you're right, he's mentioning the languages that he has written books on.

I think he could have put a little more sincere effort into his Spanish pronunciation too!

Five minutes seems just too short for this topic, but if he is going to attempt it, his list of languages should at least be more inclusive, and not just in one chart that is shown for a few seconds.

I think that Finance is a tremendously appealing field for programmers who love the possibility of using many languages, including a number of less widely-known ones which have found a solid footing in Finance.