add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Refresh the Triangle Message Board Refresh the Triangle Discussion Forum › Brainstorming the Future of Refresh: Pre-meetup collab

Brainstorming the Future of Refresh: Pre-meetup collab

A former member
Post #: 12
Can't wait till the meetup? Share your ideas here!
Elizabeth H.
user 12585567
Durham, NC
Post #: 2
From .Net's 2012 Web Design trends

Trend # 9: “I’d love to see more developers learning from designers, so we can do a better job of implementing designs. And vice versa, designers learning from developers, to understand what’s possible, and why some things are harder than others...”

Yes! Refresh can help us with this.

Columbia, SC
Post #: 5
I agree Elizabeth, but it's also strange. The lingo gets kind of murky.

For my most recent freelance design work, I decided to provide no actual photoshopped mockups. Only drawings, and then we jumped straight in to HTML, using Chrome's inspector to quickly change colors, and layout things.

Some days I wonder "am I a developer, or a designer?" The correct answer is "both," but like I said, sometimes the lingo gets murky. Maybe if this whole "designer"+"developer"­ culture had some titles and task names of their own, then we could define ourselves? -- this is coming from someone who detests buzz words!

I went to school for "interactive multimedia arts+sciences" (where the "sciences" part means computer science in my case) but usually when I tell people that, they say "what?"

Now you've really got me thinking.
A former member
Post #: 1
I was an Interdisciplinary Studies major in college. We studied the integration of disciplines as they applied to a particular problem or domain (environmental studies is a common example of an interdisciplinary field). It was also perfectly suited for "making for the web" (to avoid using the design or development term). There are so many disciplines that come to bare when building websites.

One of the first challenges you face when doing interdisciplinary work is establishing common vocabulary. I think that's where we still are...still working out a shared vocabulary. It's certainly gotten better over the years, and I think it's just a matter of time before it all shakes out and we get comfortable with talking about what it is that we're doing.