Resilience NYC Meetup Group Message Board › New report: how NYC nonprofits can earn income from energy efficiency, solar

New report: how NYC nonprofits can earn income from energy efficiency, solar power and urban farming

Dan M.
danminer11101
Group Organizer
Forest Hills, NY
Members of the Peak Oil Response Meetup List:

In August we had a well-attended screening of the new documentary "Crisis of Civilization." It was excellent - what "The End of Suburbia" was to this movement in 2005 - and brilliantly covering a host of issues.  It deserves more screenings here.  I haven't been setting up many events this year, as I've been focusing on another project, which hopefully can bring many other New Yorkers into this discussion.

We've just released a new report that can help NYC adapt to climate change, resource depletion and economic volatility. Because community-based nonprofits can reach out to neighbors and networks of close relationships, they can be very effective marketing partners in sustainability projects.  The key is to craft projects in which everyone comes out ahead, so that these groups can serve their constituents and earn income, while making themselves and the city more sustainable.  (This can also help educate nonprofits about these three areas in which our sustainability is challenged - which is the fundamental awareness raising work of the Transition movement.)

Here are two examples.  At my nonprofit day job, we've successfully promoted Con Ed's energy efficiency upgrades.  We believe that if Con Ed were to offer all nonprofits an incentive for referrals for Green Team upgrades, citywide participation in the program would skyrocket, to the benefit of all involved.  Also, we set up referral agreements with solar installers, so we earned fees from two project installations we made possible.  We'll share the process on request.  Can you connect us with nonprofits who might join us in making this request of Con Edison, or promoting solar energy in their areas? 

In addition, a combination of new business models and innovations in urban agriculture could enable community-based nonprofits to benefit from promoting local agriculture in their neighborhoods.  These proposals are detailed in the report “Engaging Community Groups to Promote Energy Efficiency, Solar Energy and Local Agriculture.”  

Please contact me to discuss the report, to recommend others who might be interested in these proposals - or if you have a group that would co-sponsor a screening of "Crisis of Civilization."   If anyone would like to help with the mission of this meetup, please contact me as well. 

Thanks,

Dan Miner, volunteer organizer
Beyond Oil NYC
beyondoilnyc@yahoo.com­
http://www.beyondoilnyc.org/­

PS: Energy Bulletin, the peak oil news website sponsored by Post Carbon Institute, is supposed to be changing its name to Resilience.net or something similar.  Maybe we should switch to a more general name?