addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Rochester, NY
Post #: 21
Since this is a recreational group, I hesitate to even use the word "rules" but since there was some confusion last night, let me at least explain some guidelines I follow when organizing and leading hikes.

1. Hikes start promptly. I wait until 5 minutes after the posted starting time and then gather the group for a few quick announcements and then we set out.
2. Latecomers are welcome to try and find the group, but it is unfair to hold up a group of hikers to wait for those who have not arrived on time.
3. When I am leading a hike, I turn my cell phone off. My attention is on the hike and on the hikers for whom I am responsible.

I made the mistake of waiting for someone who was 20 minutes late on one of the very first hikes I organized. It was the wrong call. I pissed off the people who were there and ready to hike at the time I had told them we would be leaving. As a result, those people were 20 minutes late for plans they made post-hike. Not cool. I learned my lesson.

All of that said, the organizer who preceded me, encouraged people to "have fun." His attitude was dead on. I intend to keep this group moving and having fun. It just takes a bit of work behind the scenes.
user 4434365
Rochester, NY
Post #: 35
Well said!
Dick R.
user 11071390
Rochester, NY
Post #: 7
I agree.
Brockport, NY
Post #: 4
Just to clarify, I wasn't expecting the group to wait for me; I simply wanted to find out what direction you all went and attempt to catch up on my own. In all my other Meetup groups, the Organizer keeps their cell phone on throughout the event for situations like this. Now that I know the protocol for this group is different, I will have a different expectation.