addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Rochester Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Impromptu meetup - Oct 7th Adirondak Backpack - looking for two to join

Impromptu meetup - Oct 7th Adirondak Backpack - looking for two to join

Roger J.
user 9870123
Rochester, NY
Post #: 1
Hi,
This post is for an unofficial, impromptu meetup for a backpack in early October. I'm new to the group but am an experienced backpacker. I am planning a ~ 10-14 mile roundtrip backpack somewhere in the ADKs with my 11 year old daughter. This will be her 6th overnight trip in as many years. Possible locations include Siamese Ponds and Cedar Lakes. I'm comfortable going alone with my daughter, given her experience and fitness, but think a few more seasoned and capable hikers would round out the trip. I'm still working out the details. Likely we would leave Fri eve and get back Sunday late. If the weather is iffy, we'll push back a week. I have a minivan so could take two if necessary.
Contact me directly (rather than respond to this post) if you're interested. My cell is 465-9191 and email is eclaire@frontiernet.net.
Roger Janezic
Rochester
DuctTape
user 4434365
Rochester, NY
Post #: 36
I would go, but I am already committed to backpacking the weekend before and the weekend after. Was just up in the Cedar Lakes last weekend. There is considerable blowdown across the trail. The most was between Sampson Lake and The NPT and then between West Lake and Cedar Lake. Pillsbury Mt to Cedar was wet but clear, and the French Louie trail was clear to Pillsbury Lake, but wet as always. Still a great place. Leaves were just starting to turn on some trees.
Roger J.
user 9870123
Rochester, NY
Post #: 2
Followup on our backpack last weekend.
Based on info from DuctTape and from DEC postings, decided to avoid Siamese Ponds and Cedar Lakes and instead went to Pigeon Lake Wilderness. Took my 11 y.o. on an overnight backpack. What a great area. For a good reference and pics on this area see this link :http://picasaweb.google.com/jcfarrell10/PigeonLakeWilderness809#­.

Went in from Cascade Lake trail head, through Chain Ponds, past Queer Lake and to Chub Lake. Stayed overnight. Fantastic campsite. Clean, on the water, great views, great swimming. Then, next morning, to Constable Lake, Mays Pond, and then out to Windfall Pond and the Windfall Pond trailhead. I strongly recommend this area for day hikes or overnight. A bit rugged since not heavily used and a lot of up and downs. Very beautiful, peaceful and lots of lakes.

DuctTape
user 4434365
Rochester, NY
Post #: 37
That is a great area! Queer Lake is awesome. I will be there next month for a few days. Did you go around to the eastern side of Cascade to see the waterfall?