addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Rochester Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Mountaineering

Mountaineering

David C.
user 87775282
Penfield, NY
Post #: 2
I realize this is just a hiking group , but is there anyone here training for a big mountain climb? ( i.e above 9000 feet, like Mount Rainier or Whitney)
David R.
user 6950319
Scottsville, NY
Post #: 3
I've had some mountaineering experience.
Nothing quite like Rainier or Whitney, but I'm gearing up for both of them.
Eventually I want to climb Denali.
I currently need the following:
harness, helmet, ice axes, ropes, crampons, snowshoes and mountaineering tent.
I believe I have everything else.
I'm sure you realize 9000 ft is not really that high.
I've been over 12000 ft and all I needed was general backpacking gear (Summer of course).
Planning a Winter Presidential Traverse next year.
DuctTape
user 4434365
Rochester, NY
Post #: 38
Conditions necessitate gear; elevation (changes) necessitate cardiovascular strength. Sometimes a trip along a 10k ridge is just a walk in the park while a trip where the elevation never exceeds 5k requires significant mountaineering gear and experience.