|Sent on:||Monday, July 29, 2013 8:27 AM|
From: Pat Pasley <[address removed]>
Date: July 29, 2013, 7:32:24 AM EDT
Subject: eyeonbrevard: Brevard Parks – Is this really what ‘YOU’ voted for?
Everytime I attend a meeting where Brevard County Parks or EELs (Environmentally Endangered Lands) is discussed, you can almost bet that it will be mentioned that we the voters consistently approved the referendums for them. It is then use as justification to build yet another park, acquire more land for EELs or as a springboard to raise our taxes.
Last Tuesday was no exception when the budget presentation by the Parks Department started off by saying: “the citizens consistently voted ‘YES’ for the following referendums:”
* $87 million in two (2) Environmentally Endangered Land Referendums
* $131 million in two (2) Park Referendums
* $28 million in the Beach & Riverfront Acquisition Program
* $4.8 million from PSJ/Canaveral Groves Referendum
The voter approved initiatives also leveraged an additional:
* $24 million in Grant Funding for park improvements
* $66 million for park acquisition and development from the state of Florida
* $2.7 million in matching dollars for the acquisition of conservation land from the US Air Force
And because ‘YOU’ consistently voted ‘YES‘, a total investment of over $340 million has been made in Brevard County for your park system:
To continue ready please go to www.eyeonbrevard.org