addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

MTRAS ~ MidTn Robotic Arts Society Message Board MTRAS ~ MidTn Robotic Arts Society Discussion Forum › DC electric outboard motor?

DC electric outboard motor?

Alex I.
user 21303191
Nashville, TN
Post #: 1
Hey guys and gals, Alex here with a question. While exploring ideas for fishing and boating, I decided to check if there is an electric outboard out there to use instead of gas powered. Turns out its a real thing but not very popular, and most of what I found was home made. My question is : Is this something Mtras would be interested in helping me figure out? I have an old 5 hp gas outboard to experiment with.

Let me know.

Thanks
Hal C.
user 59634222
Nashville, TN
Post #: 3
There are some units for pontoon boats. I think Bass Pro Shops carry them. Problem with using electric is getting the boat to go fast enough to satisfy most fishermen. Plus the power density of current battery technology is prohibitive due to weight issues. I have a 45 LB thrust trolling motor on my boat. I carry two batteries which weigh about about 100 LBS. Best speed is about 2.5 to 3 MPH.