The Melbourne Indoor Rock Climbing Group Message Board › Climbing Partner @ Hardrock Nunawading

Climbing Partner @ Hardrock Nunawading

Steve
user 112946742
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 1
Looking for Climbing Partner @ Hardrock Nunawading. Bouldered there yesterday to check out the place. I need to be evaluated by the staff before I can climb.

The technique/equipment seems to be a little different to the gyms in the States. Does Australia have a different standards? Beginner belaying technique is different (they don't seem to teach double hand approach) and harness hookups is different (clip on, no figure-8?).

Regardless, I am seeing people feeding rope very slowly and swap breaking hands. This scares me a little. I prefer a climbing partner that doesn't do this.
azad z.
user 12760097
London, GB
Post #: 8
YHM
Juan
user 104921192
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 1
Hey Steve,

Moved here from Virginia last year, I know exactly what you mean! The situation is made worse by the Hardrock staff having really lax standards for teaching belay technique. I had 3x2h sessions in the US gyms before I'd be allowed to belay, here it's 1x30min session! Quite appalling.

Anyway, I'm up for climbing at Nuna weekends and some weekdays (depends on work). If you're up for noon tomorrow (Sunday Sep 29) let me know!