Rock and Soul Climbers Message Board › Climbing Books to Read for all Levels

Climbing Books to Read for all Levels

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi,

As we have so many members with a wide diversity levels of skill/experience, I thought it would be cool to start a Climbing Book thread.

An instrumental book to read as we all start climbing outdoors again is John Long's book,
"Climbing Anchors" I feel its a must read to be a safe and responsible climber. Here is a link from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com...­

Another classic of course is Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills.

What books have helped you??

-Jay
A former member
Post #: 5
Jay,

Great Idea! I thought of this but didn't motivate.

John Long's books;
How to Rock Climb
Climbing Anchors
More Climbing Anchors (more detailed photos then the first, w/ greater breakdown of anchors)

The Climbing Handbook "The complete guide to safe and exciting rock climbing" by Steve Long
Although not as thorough in each subject as John's many books. I enjoyed the detailed annotated pictures and sketches, plus its well marked as a quick reference guide.

One Move Too Many... How to Understand the Injuries and Overuse Syndromes of Rock Climbing
by Thomas Hochholzer & Volker Schoeffl

Have all been insightful and pleasurable reads for me.
I'll look into finding you reference "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills."

Thanks again
~E
A former member
Post #: 11
American Alpine Club members receive American Alpine Journal and Accidents in American Mountaineering. Available in libraries. Very educational.
A former member
Post #: 10
An excellent idea! I had toyed with the idea of proposing some kind of "loan" program where books could be loaned and returned if we had enough face to face meetings .... or maybe through the mail -- though that's cumbersome, slow and a little expensive.

I would also mention --
Self-Rescue: How to Rock Climb Series / David Fasulo (have read)
Technical Mountaineering -- Pete Hill (a European perspective) (have read)
Climbing Self-Rescue: -- Tyson / Loomis (Mountaineers) (have read)
Advanced Rock Climbing -- John Long / Craig Luebben (I own)

Dru
303 666-7665
Erin N.
JadeRabbit
Louisville, CO
Post #: 8
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Thank you, all of you.

I can't tell you how blessed I feel to have been introduced to Meetup and all of the great people here.

-Erin
Lincoln
user 5256980
Boulder, CO
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
For some fairly recent info:
  • Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills by Craig Luebben
    or for those stepping up the skill ladder...
  • Rock Climbing Anchors: A Comprehensive Guide by Craig Luebben

Beth H.
user 8186282
Golden, CO
Post #: 1
Hi! Just wanted you all to know that the American Alpine Club Library in Golden has 20,000 books and videos on mountaineering and mountain-related topics. We're open Tues-Sat, and even though you have to be an AAC, CMC, or Friend of the Library member to check out books, ANYONE can come hang out and read. We'd love to start a book club here too - anyone want to take that on?

Beth
303-384-0110 x13
A former member
Post #: 17
a Friend turned me on to "The Rock Warrior's Way; Mental training for climbers" by Arno Ilgner.

After learning techniques of safety, gear placement, and Technique this book is my essential next step. Along with my continued development of safety, and physical technique I will be using the instructions in this book to mentally combat constrictions that have held me back both in my climbing, and personal Life!! This book is a must read for anybody wanting to expand their knowledge!

Ilgner says it best, " The Rock Warrior's Way seeks to develop an adventurous, vigorous, deliberate approach to climbing. Initially, it breaks down the habitual and self-limiting mental framework we bring into climbing and into life in general."
Clare
user 6341530
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
E, When you're done with that book, can I borrow it? I'll trade you my "Climbing Free" by Lynn Hill or "High Infatuation" by Steph Davis or "Climber's Choice" edited by Pat Ament-You pick. All three of these books have been inspirational to me.

One more book I'd suggest, in part due to his funny straightforward writing style, but otherwise because of the adventure reading...is Anderl Heckmair's "My Life, Eiger North Face, Grand Jorasses, & Other Adventures". He was one of the first 4 men who climbed the north face of the Eiger in 1938. Some of his accounts had me laughing out loud, others made me cringe-with that tingle sensation down my spine.
Chris A.
user 8629859
Boulder, CO
I'm seconding Eckhard's recommendation for "The Rock Warriors Way". Arno is a friend of mine and being a fellow Southeastern climber I can vouch for his integrity as a mentor. Climbing truly is a crucible for your mental self, and Arno is a guru who uses lead climbing as a vehicle for self improvement. Give it a whirl (or rather, whip) and open your mind.