Austin RPG Meetup Message Board › Gaming with Google Hangouts

Gaming with Google Hangouts

A former member
Post #: 16
Hello all,

Have any of you thought about using online tech like Google Hangouts or Skype for gaming? I want to start a game online with 3 or 4 folks and using FUDGE Space game or running Star Frontiers online. I don't see an issue with regard communications, you just have to have (at minimum) headphones.

My company is pretty much all over the country, and we have meetings via google Hangout all the time. Works pretty well, and with 'extras', you can share desktops, and other things...

what has been your experience with running games online?
A former member
Post #: 6
I run a skype game with some family and friends who live all over the country; the biggest hurdle is the time difference. We try to use webcams too so it's almost like being around a table together (plus I can just point it at the battle mat!). This sort of playing works well with us.
CourtFool
CourtFool
Pflugerville, TX
Post #: 6
I was in an Exalted campaign a few months back where the GM's brother joined us via Skype. The rest of us (three other players) were there in person. It worked pretty well. Occasionally, there would be a problem because our Skype player could not see the battle mat we were using. If you shared desktops, that would eliminate that problem.
A former member
Post #: 17
I thought about maybe running a static webserver, and then uploading a 'battlemap' of what was happening, then they could just go to the site, and 'refresh' when I tell them...
Paul
Anazlu
Austin, TX
Post #: 30
I love useing tech to solve simple issues like this, and ive thought about it in the past before. and id be intersted to give it a try if you do get it a group going