Austin RPG Meetup Message Board › New Superhero RPG Starting in January

New Superhero RPG Starting in January

Maximilian
user 8619630
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 222
I'm an experienced storyteller who has been designing and running this particular campaign setting for many years with many different groups. I can accommodate any size party, and have run games for as few as 2 to as many as 12 players.

The setting is unique, but to picture it imagine a combination of the shows Misfits and Heroes, with dystopian inspiration from George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

I'm located off of Lamar and Airport with a table and enough chairs to host. I'm a freelance writer working from home, so my schedule is VERY flexible.

The first session will be a meet and greet over food and drink at a diner, followed by story time and a Q&A about the setting. Then, we'll talk about some character ideas. After departing, character sheet details will be hammered out over email and we'll be ready for the opening game in a week or two.

I welcome all players, rookie and veteran. Simply reply here or message me privately if interested.

Include your availability and if Lamar and Airport is inconvenient let me know where you're coming from.
Ian S.
user 47555942
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
What system are you using? Also Homebrew or something like say Aberrant?...mmmm Aberrant...
Maximilian
user 8619630
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 225
Its a system of my own devising based loosely off of WoD and Cyberpunk. It is VERY minimalist. 4 Main stats and about 15 skills. Then, you get a power. How well you use it is based off of a skill specific to it.

The most noticeable trait of it is there's no dice, except mine (think the Community episode of D&D). I did this to speed things up. I made the stats as simple as possible, and even gave an option to "take 5" instead of rolling the dice, but no one would take it, and took forever to roll and add 2 numbers to their dice roll. The only solution to increase the speed of combat was to roll myself. You tell me what your character is attempting, and I'll tell you almost immediately if it succeeds or not. No other game system can offer that except Amber.

The point of my games is role playing and creating an amazing story together. A character will be able to do anything they're supposed to be able to do, or have worked at becoming good at. Other things, not so much, but anything is possible with a bit of planning, preparation, and on occasion, luck.

Its a published world setting, but I'd like to keep that undisclosed to avoid spoilers. Its very obscure and few have played it. Now I'm an rpg hipster tongue
Ian S.
user 47555942
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
Sounds interesting, unfortunately I'm burned out on over-simplified systems. I've been running or playing the Dresden Files for nearly the last two years and I'm more looking for a meat-and-potatoes system with some crunchy numbers. The Only Super-hero system I've ver enjoyed was Aberrant. I've played Hero system which is ridiculously complex as well as Mutants and Masterminds which was too restrictive and a little over-simplified (at least the d20 version was).
Karlen K.
user 12366925
Austin, TX
Post #: 34
Aberrant was fun. The only gripe I had was that having two dots in super strength meant you could both lift and throw large vehicles. I miss that game.
Maximilian
user 8619630
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 226
It has begun.

http://www.meetup.com...­