add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Austin RPG Meetup Message Board › Step up and run your first game!

Step up and run your first game!

user 8619630
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 229
In my years of roleplaying one thing has become clear, players are much more numerous than storytellers.

As a player, running a game seems like a very overwhelming task. But here is the truth, without storytellers, this hobby dies.

Assuming that the average table has 5 players, for every 5 games you play, you should run one. If you've been playing games for 5 years, you should step up and run a game for a year. If you don't, this hobby dies.

Its challenging, but its fun. You finally get to run a world the way you think it should be run. Your version of right and wrong, good and evil, heroic and villainous prevail. You call the shots and enjoy indulging every creative idea you have while entertaining a grateful group of players. If you don't, this hobby dies.

You might not be great at it. I've run a few TERRIBLE sessions myself. But I can count them on less than one hand (like, a hand that had a firework accident). For those few cringe-worthy learning opportunities I've had YEARS of great storytelling experiences, and dozens of grateful players, many of whom will never forget the campaigns we created. The risk and the pressure is worth it. You WILL get better, but to do that you HAVE to start.

Pick the game setting you're most familiar with, pick a system you know inside and out, create a few villians and a plotline, and invite players to make characters. Do it and start repaying your debt to a hobby which has entertained you countless times.
Karlen K.
user 12366925
Austin, TX
Post #: 39
That sounds cool.

I think that this motivation is perfectly timed with the physical release of Dungeon World. How that game works essentially teaches a GM and players how to think and work in a roleplaying setting. I'm going to do an open table game this sunday at Whose Turn Is It Games from 1pm-6pm but I fear I may be the only DM available that knows that system. If anyone is interested in learning how to DM and also how to play a really cool system I invite you to come down and check it out.
user 10187749
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
Hey Max! What a small world! I am not sure if you remember, but I played one time in a game you ran in Boulder with the Brave New World system. Welcome to Austin!

Anyway, your post got me thinking about GMing. I go back and forth with the idea a lot, but it just seems so overwhelming, as you describe. You know what might be cool? A sort of GM workshop. That is, a gaming group based around training GMs. It could be something very informal where newbie GMs take turns running one-shot games and everyone can give feedback and criticisms. Sort of like a creative writing workshop, I guess. Some people might not like the idea of getting criticism, but I could imagine it making entering GMing a bit less intimidating if you are running a game for people who 1) you know do not have high expectations and 2) are going through the same obstacles you might be going through. I imagine groups like this already exist, but I can't recall ever coming across them. Do you have any thoughts on that?
user 4423210
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I think a DM workshop for newbies is a great idea! I've run a couple of games and I always question things such as whether I am over or under describing a scene/setting, focusing or not focusing enough on all players, is combat balanced, whether the world/story/npcs are at all interesting, etc. I've asked my players and usually get positive feedback but as these are my buddies I'm sure they being nice. I would appreciate some candid, constructive criticism so I can improve.
user 16154251
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
This is an interesting idea, and I would love to grab a root and growl. Lets meetup and discuss how to do this right. I will speak to the owners of King's Hobby about opening their store up to hash group. Lets anticipate meeting Tuesday night, Feb. 26. I will post a meetup on the groups page when we have everything ironed out.
user 10187749
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
I never heard about any follow-up to this. Did anyone start the workshop? Or, if not, is there still some interest? Now that spring classes are over, I'm much more free to participate and help organize something.
Scott R.
user 43855572
Pflugerville, TX
Post #: 2
I dunno if any follow-up was ever done with this, but I know that Dragon's Lair used to do a workshop for GMs, and although Erin's no longer there, I've been working to get them to do another - I'd like to attend. I know a few people who have attended, and they not only seem to have taken good things from it, but enjoyed it as well. I'll let them know there's some interest on here for such a thing, as well.
user 8619630
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 239
I would like to organize a GM's workshop. It is one of the things I want to discuss at our upcomming social this Sunday at Cafe Medici.

@Nick- Sorry about not replying sooner!!! It is amazing that you're in Austin too! Can you make it next Sunday?
A former member
Post #: 7
I won't be able to make the upcoming social as I'll be out of town, but I would be interested in attending a GM's workshop in the future. (I've been running a Call of Cthulhu game in South Austin for a short time now).
user 10187749
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
I wasn't able to attend the social. Can you fill us in with what you discussed regarding the workshop?