align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Austin RPG Meetup Message Board › RPG Meetup Primer

RPG Meetup Primer

Maximilian
user 8619630
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 238
Since anyone can now announce an event to the group, I wanted to post this short guide to RPG meetups for anyone who might be new to meetup or running a game. It really is as simple as posting the details of who, what, when and where.

Who: First of all, keep in mind your event will be announced to everyone in the group. Proofread your announcement and make sure all the details are easily understood by anyone who might read it, experienced gamer or novice alike.

If you have a firm limit on how many people you can run for, state so, but try to be flexible. I've successfully run sessions for 12 people before. It can be really fun and entertaining, and no one is excluded. In fact, in a bigger group, my job as a storyteller is easier because so many more opportunities for character interaction exist between players. That's one less NPC I had to run!

What: Your event title and description should be clear and entice players to join. Don't just state the title of the game you want to run, describe the style of game you enjoy. If you really want to entice players, your game's description should read like the teaser summary of a novel or movie.

When: Don't worry too much about when everyone will be available, just run a game when is best for you. Everyone has obligations. If you wait for everyone who is remotely interested to be available, you'll never start. The perfect game time for everyone doesn't exist. Picking a time and announcing it is better than leaving that field blank and keeping everyone guessing about when or if the event will ever happen.

Where: If you don't have enough space at someone's home, there are plenty of game stores who would love to host you. Call ahead and see if they have a table free when you want to play. Libraries also have private conference rooms you can use, and so do some apartment complexes.

As a final note, just do it! If you're willing to run even a one-shot game, you'll be surprised how many people will want to play. And if you want to play, try offering up a location and time, or just run your own game and get one of your players to run a game for you next time.