Austin RPG Meetup Message Board › Ghostbusters Austin Franchise (Fate Core)

Ghostbusters Austin Franchise (Fate Core)

Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 12
So we have our building secured, permits signed, not just for building occupancy and use, but containment unit as well. (This game is fictional although the setting is based loosely on an actual place). We, the Ghostbusters Austin Franchise, are taking applicantions for six open positions. Applicants will be required to wear issued uniforms, handle sophisticated equipment, and risk emotional and physical strain that could cause irrepairable damage.
Austin is a great city to live, laugh, and love and any persons, places, or things used in this setting are not intended to offend. Given the nature of Fate Core players have an incredible amount of control to direct the nature of the designed conflicts. It is in my sincerest hopes that that will keep this game enjoyable and eliminate offensive material. That being said it might not be fully possible to avoid offensive material given the setting and genre so please if youd like to join keep that in mind.

I have a some what unique schedule so i am open for suggestions on days and times. As for location I am open to any where from wonkos, dragons lair, to whose turn is it, but would not care to drive any farther south at least at first. North is easier.

I have a steady group of 4e d&d that are lvl 13 from 1st so they are unwilling to try Fate at least for now but they were also against 3.5 and 4th at first. So if i can get at least 3 players im sure this table will fill up quickly!

For your convenience we have linked the adopted Orientation video from one of the European franchises.

https://www.youtube.c...­
Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 17
Logo
https://drive.google....­

and bump...
Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 19
Duration:

A typical dice based system with even an emphasis on role-playing would see my idea to complete fruition in probably a one-shot event. In Fate Core characters are proactive, capable people leading dramatic lives, my idea alone in this system is only about 10 minutes worth of direct game play. I'd like to get characters in that can help expand, twist, or even alter the setting, theme, etc into something they would like to see and build High Concept and Trouble aspects. I would then like to play until a major milestone is reached or alternatively until each characters High Concept and Trouble aspects have been addressed. This could be all wrapped up in a single scenario or 3-4 scenarios for a major milestone.

After that it'd be up to the group, but I would be completely satisfied.
Paul D.
user 4105202
Austin, TX
Post #: 46
Right, that is totally up my alley. By your description, this game's style and premise are exactly what I am looking for in a game. I just need to review the Fate Core rules again.

By the way, Monday and Tuesday nights are both open for me almost every week for now. I don't control my work schedule but I rarely get work on those nights.
Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 21
Sounds great i can make both work for next week. I'm at dragons lair now advertising was going to go to Wonkos on Tuesday and Whose Turn is it on Wednesday. If you have a preferred place Id be happy to go there on one of those days. I should add I am completely new to Fate and attempting to learn by playing.
Leonard B.
baneofcows
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I can't join the game, but I'm the lead system developer for Fate Core, so I just wanted to say thanks for trying to put this together. :)
Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 22
I can't join the game, but I'm the lead system developer for Fate Core, so I just wanted to say thanks for trying to put this together. :)
Well thank you for the system. I've played quite a few systems from every edition of D&D except D&D next, White Wolf: Vampire, Mage, Werewolf. Each system provided a good balance for it's own design. Fate Core if what I've read I've read correctly could adapt to anything; any genre, setting, and even other systems. It's all speculation right now though.... but if it works out the way I think it will even when I return to medieval fantasy I'll be taking Fate Core with me.
Paul D.
user 4105202
Austin, TX
Post #: 47
when I return to medieval fantasy I'll be taking Fate Core with me.
cool there are already fantasy games based on Fate along with other stuff, so that shouldn't be a problem
Paul D.
user 4105202
Austin, TX
Post #: 48
Sounds great i can make both work for next week...
So soon? As in two days from now? Cool, Tuesday works best this week.
was going to go to Wonkos on Tuesday and Whose Turn is it on Wednesday. If you have a preferred place Id be happy to go there on one of those days...
If I were to choose a location, I'd definitely go for Emerald Tavern Games and Cafe (directions). Great atmosphere, lots of gaming tables and they serve good food and drinks, including some premium beer and wine for those that want it.
I should add I am completely new to Fate and attempting to learn by playing.
I've been very inspired by Fate games in my own game design but haven't had many opportunities to play, I'm completely willing to learn together.
Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 23
If I were to choose a location, I'd definitely go for Emerald Tavern Games and Cafe (directions). Great atmosphere, lots of gaming tables and they serve good food and drinks, including some premium beer and wine for those that want it.
Is that a good place to meet other role players?? I was choosing the shops based on the days that they are known to have role players there and have a flier. I feel like the Fate system would be fully utilized face to face and I'm hoping I can get a group without having to go to the online communities for a table. I'd be happy to give it a try.

I've been very inspired by Fate games in my own game design but haven't had many opportunities to play, I'm completely willing to learn together.
I think the whole point of fate is the players own a significant portion of the story and I'm just going to help steer it, if possible to allow everyone's have to have's, towards the ghostbuster themes. If we're all new at the table though I'll very likely use this hack as a basis although I don't think every bust will be a competition and players aspects will weigh heavy on the story I think it's what I'll point to if anyone needs assistance thinking of something genre related.

So I'll put up a meetup for 7:00 PM at Emerald Tavern Games on Tuesday? If nothing else we can have a beer and kick around something.