Austin RPG Meetup Message Board › Ghostbusters Austin Franchise (Fate Core)

Ghostbusters Austin Franchise (Fate Core)

Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 30
Hey guys just wanted to make sure everyone new that the site had the schedule too. I plan on embedding this discussion too but haven't done it yet. I registered a table for Dragon's Lair at 7 PM

Calendar
Jon-Pierre
user 3022063
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Is it too late to join in on this? It sounds awesome.
Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 31
Is it too late to join in on this? It sounds awesome.
not at all one of my friends had to stop playing due to schedule conflicts so we have a spot if interested sorry about the late response Google spams the discussion tracking
Jon-Pierre
user 3022063
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Awesome! When and where do y'all play?
Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 32
Awesome! When and where do y'all play?
We play on Tuesdays at Dragons Lair starting at 7 PM and try to get in a scene or two. I appreciate the interest having local players allows me to be more active and at least get out the house versus playing on Roll20.net and being further stuck in front of a computer. Hopefully the time and place works for you.
Jon-Pierre
user 3022063
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Works perfectly! See you on Tuesday, then!
Jon-Pierre
user 3022063
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
Should I bring a prerolled character? Or would you like to set some time aside to create one before the game? Or just do it on game day? I know FATE characters take a while to create.
Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 33
Should I bring a prerolled character? Or would you like to set some time aside to create one before the game? Or just do it on game day? I know FATE characters take a while to create.
It's actually very good question and it has me stumped even in my blog. The last person I introduced to the game happens to be also the one that left and he had made a character before hand. There was a gap of familiarity from him with the other players. We all got a long but the fact that everyone else had contributed to fleshing out the world so he did not get the full effect of Fate he got more a Fate with a toolkit, setting, scene, and almost everything of the game already going on.
Here's my idea I've been working on to introduce new players to the game and actually now that I'm thinking about it I need to scan the G+ Fate Community and see if this has been addressed so this may change.
I have two ideas really:
Idea 1: Start with the High Concept, Trouble and Phase 1 of the Phase Trio but have Phase 1 relate to becoming Austin's Ghostbuster. Pick stunts and skills and then as we play we'll be literally playing your phase II and phase III of the Phase Trio and you can choose which players affected your situation the most/which ones mostly identify an aspect that you believe your character would have and choose one as it comes up in the drama.

Idea 2: Choose everything High Concept, Trouble, Phase Trio, skills, stunts before play but maybe focus on being new to Austin, Ghostbusting, this group whichever you feel apply and have aspects that you believe can apply but may be from another time with pretend "other players" then as we play you could always decide a new aspect should exist in place of another and the story why or an existing one still exists but is confirmed by the current situation and players.

These are just my ideas as I'm not familiar with Fate Core enough to say either of these would have better effect than say some other idea. Feel free to do what you believe is appropriate. If you think a more collaborative effort is Fate Core's intention (as is what I believe) feel free to wait until Tuesday and we can dedicate some time to collaborating your phases is as is what we would really have to do any ways as we introduce you and make narrative sense of it.
Jon-Pierre
user 3022063
Austin, TX
Post #: 5

Idea 1: Start with the High Concept, Trouble and Phase 1 of the Phase Trio but have Phase 1 relate to becoming Austin's Ghostbuster. Pick stunts and skills and then as we play we'll be literally playing your phase II and phase III of the Phase Trio and you can choose which players affected your situation the most/which ones mostly identify an aspect that you believe your character would have and choose one as it comes up in the drama.
I'll probably do this. I've been playing FATE games for a while now, thought Fate Core 4.0 is a little new, it's not very difficult for me to adapt. I'd definitely like to flesh out my Phase 2 and Phase 3 with the other players for sure, and we may need to do some re-writing as we go along to make my character "fit" a little better and I'm totally okay with that.

I like the idea of my character being "new" to the scene. Perhaps he's a Ghostbuster who came from another city and found the Austin Ghostbusting scene.

I can roll up a character pretty quickly so as long as everyone wouldn't mind taking an hour or so on Tuesday to help me finish up, we should be good to go.

Alan
A1an
Leander, TX
Post #: 34
I can roll up a character pretty quickly so as long as everyone wouldn't mind taking an hour or so on Tuesday to help me finish up, we should be good to go.

Sounds great see you Tuesday.