addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Austin RPG Meetup Message Board Austin RPG Meetup Discussion Forum › Seat Open In Our Game

Seat Open In Our Game

Terry M.
TerryMichaels
Manchaca, TX
Post #: 16
Wanted:
1) Role-player who participates, not just comes along for the ride
2) Someone who is as entertaining as much as they wish to be entertained
3) Experienced with more than just one edition (we play 2nd, with pieces of other editions to fill gaps)
4) Someone in Austin, Kyle, Buda, Manchaca, as we are in Manchaca a mile from South Austin. (Right near the end of Brodie)
5) Someone free consistently from 11 a.m. on Sunday to 5 p.m. every week save one (we vary the week off depending on player needs)

Benefits:
1) EVERY first and second edition adventure and supplement is there for our use.
2) Long-lived campaign
3) Very detailed world(s)
4) Experienced players
5) Cooperative professional group (well, for a hobby group)
6) DM who likes and supports his players
7) No drama (the bad kind)
8) Huge gaming room and table for our use in OUR house
9) Fantasy realism, or internal consistency, or in other words, a suspension of disbelief is our goal
10) Countries with fully detailed cultures, with a wide-variety of locales, genres, gaming styles, and adventures, the choosing of which is under control of the players by simply going there
11) EVERY character class, race, place, spell, item exists, somewhere here, placed by the DM for the player characters to find.

Disadvantages:
1) No module hopping. There's too much detailing, too many options. 2) It's a long-term campaign so you can't just sit at the inn waiting for adventure to drop into your lap. That's how you end up with a bartender rather than a barbarian. You need to find adventure, and it isn't too hard to find if you try. You also have lots of in-jokes, and references that may leave you confused; "What's a kender?" "Why are the rulers called 'templars'?" "What the heck is an 'urd'? And why do you call a winged blue kobold that?"
3) Too many options for what to do with your time. If you aren't good at taking charge or moving the group along, you could get lost in the minutia of a trinket shop. It's a world for doers.
4) Inexperienced players may feel a bit uncomfortable surrounded by a group that acts like experienced mercenaries as PCs, and as players similar in attitude to a serious bowling league. Still a hobby, but we play hard.
5) If you like stealing from PCs, or causing them trouble, or being annoyingly quirky, it's not a fun group. The PCs have a tendency to abandon such characters in the nearest town...assuming they are willing to wait that long to be rid of them.
6) If you are there to be entertained by the DM, wrong group. The DM is playing as well and would like to be entertained as well, and to that end, I have always had their enjoyment as my goal, save when they are costing the group as a whole THEIR enjoyment. Then the player is definitely expendable.
7) NO drama. Yep, that's the negative, too. Some players like to argue rather than look up the rules to prove their point. Some get angry because some rule doesn't make sense to them and after getting caught by the rule they want it changed and will get upset to do it. Sorry, don't have the time or inclination, so I tend to send such players walking for a half-hour to cool. Considering that in my game the player can halt the game (briefly), write a note, get huge amounts of help looking up rules they disagree with and evidence to argue it FROM the DM and others, and at last resort can even call for a vote of the players to get their way, it seems somewhat silly to entertain someone who would rather bring drama to the table instead of using the options just outlined.
8) Gaming room is still messy (we have been unpacking over time), and the table is custom, but unfinished. The disadvantage of so much material to work with? Can't think of one.
9) If you are a player who runs his character like this:
"My character says, 'Hi, I'm Joklin, the barbarian of the North', while my character is thinking 'Is this dwarf strong enough?'"
instead of a player starting out with:
"I walk up, slowly, look the dwarf over while just within melee distance, 'Good enough. Name's Joklin." Then you are likely going to feel uncomfortable. If seeing your DM break into literal tears as the daughter of an NPC is found lying dead after a raid is uncomfortable, or having your horse lose a shoe, go lame, or wander off in the middle of a ride to get some water is TOO much realism for you (when done quickly and during gaps in the action), then it's a bad match.
10) Limits. You can't be a wizard in some countries, while in others, elves are unknown. In one country, dwarves might be experimented on, while in another they rule. Slavery is hated in one, while it's legal and even just in another. Sorry, no ninja weapons in the equivalent of Celtic Ireland. Not going to happen.
11) They aren't all in one spot. You're going to have to find that country with ninjas to be a ninja so that when you die, you can be a ninja yourself with your next creation, or locate that decadent civilization to be a gladiator with your next character.

Oh, final benefit? We run the details on my Mac with a custom program people keep bugging me to sell. Nope. I'll share pieces, but never the whole thing. Runs weather, treasure, encounters, details of every sort imaginable, leaving me free to role-play most of the time and make the game more believable, as well as freeing me from much of the time-consuming calculation and rolling (players still control their own dice, thank you).
A former member
Post #: 3
Geez, talk about detailed....

Is this something we have to SIGN???

LOL

I think I will pass... thanks