Austin RPG Meetup Message Board › How does one gather players?

How does one gather players?

A former member
Post #: 1
Greetings all,
My name is Carlos 36/m. I've run Dungeons and Dragons since the dice were plastic and had to be filled in with the enclosed wax crayon. My last campaign two years ago was one of my most memorable. Unfortunately, I haven't run anything since (or even played). I live in South Austin, most of my role playing friends live in north Austin. I have a number of real life scheduling demands, so when I dedicate a night to gaming, it needs to stick.
Soooo....what do I want? I'd like to run another D&D 3.5 game. I'm a veeery mellow DM who despises rule disputes. I'm not a hack and slasher and will spend most of the evening on RP and trying to forward the mission objectives. Power gamers will find me frustrating. I'd like 3-4 players (maybe 5) who are good natured, not necessarily experienced, and excellent role players.
Am I supposed to leave my number? e-mail? (sorry, first time on here).

Carlos
Charles
user 7806169
Kyle, TX
Post #: 8
Not sure how much time I could devote to this, but I might be interested in participating. 47/m and been doing this stuff since the Red Box. I dig RPing over number crunching any day. Story and character over everything. I also have a home brew system that is VERY simple that I might be willing to run, though it would probably have to be once/month. I've just entered a new relationship, and the little lady has small children, so I hate to overcommit. But I'd be interested in participating--maybe. I mean, we can talk about it, right?
A former member
Post #: 2
Sure. I'm married with two kids, so my wife will have plenty to say over when I get to game anyways. I used to run on Thursday nights from 6-10 p.m. at my house. If possible, I'd like to do that again....or Friday. Weekends, however, are forbidden.

A former member
Post #: 4
So after two weeks, I've got one interested party, and no other nibbles? Honestly, I was hoping for a little more luck at this site. Still, in case anyone missed this post, I'm looking for players for a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 game.

Carlos
Wade
user 10850152
Austin, TX
Hi Carlos! I'm definitely interested. My first D&D set had those little chits back in the day. I would love to hear more about your campaign!

James P.
JamesSavesTheDay
Santa Clara, CA
Hey, fellas.
I'm only 25/m. But I've been playing since high school.

I'm starting a new job next week, so it'll take me a bit to figure out and nail down a schedule.
But I'm new to Austin, and I really want to get back into gaming.

Carlos, I have some power-gamerish tendencies and will always try to make the most of my character for combat purposes, but I don't really play the game that way. I get bored with dungeon crawling and hack and slash. I love the kind of story that you think about during the week while you wait to go back and play again. I always make my characters to have an interesting story that lends itself to good RP and plot hooks.

Let me know if you get this off the ground.

James
A former member
Post #: 5
I'm just glad to get a little feedback. Alrighty, I live in South Austin off Slaughter Lane. I was just hoping for 3-4 players, so we've got enough to start at least. Are ya'll interested in meeting to get to know each other or in playing a game right away? This next week I can meet up Monday, but I can actually play on Thursday or Friday. What do ya'll think?

Carlos

Wade
user 10850152
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Sorry for the late response, but I'm free this week to meet up any evening except for Wednesday.
A former member
Post #: 6
I can see the drawback to this website. The response time is really slow unless members check this particular message board frequently. I think the best chance for success is to post something far in advance. How's this: who's in to meet on Friday, January 29 around 6 p.m. in South Austin (we can decide a place after some more interest develops).

Carlos
Wade
user 10850152
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
I'm in!