Ron Paul for President 2012 San Diego County Message Board › Jesse Benton paid $500,000+ for 2012 campaign

Jesse Benton paid $500,000+ for 2012 campaign

Mario L.
user 24199922
San Diego, CA
Post #: 15
Not that Im mad at folks making money...not at all.

But more then $500,000 seems a bit much. Especially since this is all donations!

Something about this aint right...

http://www.economicpo...­
Monica G.
StarSpangledGirl
San Diego, CA
Post #: 767
From what I have been finding out...it seems that is pretty much the going rate Mario. And it seems Dr Paul is rated among the most "conservative".

Considering the travel and all the coordination that a campaign manager has to do...I actually think that's not a bad salary. And actually....Dr Paul only paid him $264,039. The rest came from Liberty PAC.

"According to Open Secrets, he has been paid $322, 577 in the 2012 election cycle, by Liberty PAC. His total income directly from the Ron Paul presidential campaign 2012 is, to date, $264,039."

Also...I have a bit of a problem when I hear people say they have a problem with the way the campaign was run. Personally, I think they did a great job. Considering we had the establishment and the media against us, Dr Paul sure came a long way. He is still being talked about. Who is talking about the Pizza Man? Who is talking about the "Texas Ranger", yet Dr Paul is still being talked about. We owe this to his supporters but also to the campaign. They were fighting against all odds. They put in way long hours. They put up with media crap. They put up with cheating. They put up with lying. And still they were able to get him this far. Not too shabby, in my humble opinion. So Jessie is married to his granddaughter? Who cares? Most of us would hire people close to us to help us in almost all journeys that we take. I am not exactly sure why that is a problem to some. No one seemed to complain while Dr Paul was ahead.

The fact that the funds came from donations or not, shouldn't really matter.

Come on guys.

If Dr Paul would have won the nomination, I have a feeling no one would care about how much Benton made or who he's married to.

Here is more supporting info...

http://www.slate.com/...­

http://campaignmanage...­

http://www.politico.c...­

http://www.jobhost.or...­

Plenty more sources on google......

I know I have been accused of making "excuses" for the controversies that are arising but please understand that I am not making excuses. I am just realistic about the fact that we all knew what we were getting into and can not complain now that we didn't get our way. It's a chance all of us took. No one put a gun to our heads. So why the complaining now?

If I was to do some quick math....I would say I am probably in about 40k dollars of time and money that I have dedicated to Dr Paul's campaign and message (if not more).

Considering I have been almost nonstop for 4 years....that would be about 10k a year.

I paid WAY more for my bachelor's degree (which I am not practicing) and perhaps learned way less about life in college.

The way I see it...10k a year for the education I have received is well worth it to me. Maybe others see it different but I have absolutely no complaints.

THE only thing I am not happy with is that Dr Paul has not addressed us since the Rand thing.

But other than that, I don't regret a thing and will continue to advocate the message of liberty as best that I can.

Just my thoughts.
A former member
Post #: 75
this is a sale out there is no difference between Ron Paul and Mitt Romney they are all for sale. this is outrageous they would sale our info this is treason.
Monica G.
StarSpangledGirl
San Diego, CA
Post #: 779
Hmmm...how exactly has he sold out Robert???

If you are referring by what Rand did..that is not about Ron Paul nor his message. I am not sure you have heard Ronald Reagan Jr but he is as far away from his dad's philosophy as can be. So what? They are different people. It's allowed.

And once again, you have NO IDEA what is happening behind the scenes. The fact that you can so easily be broken down just shows how weak you are.

EXACTLY what the establishment wanted. YOU have fallen right into their plan.

Me? Ron Paul will not always be around for me....but HIS MESSAGE will.

And THAT is worth any money or time I donated. Because once you have the fire of liberty lite inside you...it can never burn out.

PRICELESS. :)
Mario L.
user 24199922
San Diego, CA
Post #: 16
I think the tone of comment was a bit more accusatory then I intended it to be.

I should have asked if anybody knew if this was the going rate for campaing managers and according to Monica, it is the going rate in other peoples campaigns.

And while Monica may be right that if Ron had won the nomination nobody would care how much Jesse got paid I think its only fair to poing out that Ron did not win, and thus we should be looking at areas that may have caused this to happen. If we dont take some time to think about this then how will we not make the same mistake in the next campaign?

Im not trying to place blame on any one person, just simply trying to make sense of the situation. It seemed like there was massive amounts of grassroots momentum in play and has now just fizzeld away.
Leigh S.
eleighs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 551
It amazes me that momentum has dropped. Its not over yet. There is a lawsuit, there is a convention coming up. Surprises can happen. Don't lose heart!
Monica G.
StarSpangledGirl
San Diego, CA
Post #: 790
Leigh...while I gree that we should not lose faith, I do need to make people aware that the lawsuits that are being planned will cost millions of dollars...so not sure how that is going to play.

Mario...agreed that we should learn from this cycle. Personally, I think Dr Paul and the campaign got a lot of bang for the money they had and tried their best. We stayed in longer than many and accomplished to grow the campaign tenfold. We can not put all blame on the campaign. How many supporters did not actually participate in the grassroots events? I think the most participation we had out of the 700 plus members here...was about shy of 75 at the BBQ. And the most we got at monthly meetings were about 50. Only about 20 of us showed up for precint walking.

How does anyone expect anyone to win with those numbers?

If we learn anything...I would say it be, "get off your asses if you want change."

And to those that were there unconditionally (you know who you are)...THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!
Leigh S.
eleighs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 553
Monica,

My understanding is that the lawyers are doing it mostly, if not all, without charging. So where do you get your cost figure from? I'll contribute if asked.