Greater NYC Rand Paul for President's LibertyHQ Message Board › True Conservative/Libertarian/Patriot Reading List - Enjoy

True Conservative/Libertarian/Patriot Reading List - Enjoy

user 4827099
São Paulo, BR
Hi all,

There are two attributes which all successful people have in common:

1. They take ACTION
2. Continue to EDUCATE themselves

With the help of some of our long time dedicated members I have put together a recommended reading list. A great opportunity to build that library. Enjoy!

Not in any order though i need to highlight two books since they were on everyones list, so they must be important. They are:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt

I will upload this as a word document as well on the files section.

Davey Crockett's "Not Yours To Give" -­

James Bovard's Liberty vs. Democracy -­ (spolier alert: liberty wins, LIBERTY WINS... take.. me out... to the... ballgaaaame....)

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt

Human Action by Mises

RP's Manifesto (RP's coming sometime in April and we should all get
copies to get it autographed)

Conscience of a Conservative (yeah I know it's sad, I still haven't
read it yet and it's a quick read)

Pure Goldwater (new book from Barry Goldwater, Jr. and John Dean,
coming out next month)

History of Money and Banking by Rothbard

Democracy: the god that failed - Hoppe

Ethics of liberty -Rothbard

Machinery of Freedom -D Friedman

1. What Has Government Done to Our Money? by Dr. Murray N. Rothbard­

This first one is still the best introduction to money I've come across, and with the situation constantly going on around us, I think it'll be indispensable in the future. Follow-ups to this work will be listed at the end.* It's quite a bit longer than most of the entries on this list.

2. "I, Pencil" by Leonard Read
http://www.econlib.or...­ (and many other URLs)

Along with Rothbard's money tract I tend to recommend this one to everyone. This short essay is usually used as a beginner's work. Something meant to open people up to the concept of the invisible hand, and undirected, spontaneous order. With this base one can continue on in a discussion about the possibilities of an undirected world.

3. "The Philosophy of Liberty" flash video presentation from ISIL.­

Something simple. The video is based on a piece by Ken Schoolland (The Adventures of Jonathan Gullible). Without getting into fine philosophical detail, this little video presents the libertarian message with concision and accuracy. If people view this they can usually understand the way you think if not agree with you. So long as they understand, there's something to build on.

4. "patterns" a blog post by iceberg18 (a well written individual blog from a NYC Rothbardian)­

I include this one as a launching pad for helping folks understand the case against so-called "intellectual property." Now, there are some libertarians out there who support forms of IP like copyrights, patents, and trademarks (e.g. Randians), but there are probably just as many who fight them as a form of government granted monopoly.

5. "Do We Ever Really Get Out of Anarchy?" by Dr. Alfred G. Cuzán­

For those special few who decide to start down the path I've gone, and rid one's self of the illusion of government (good or bad, Constitutional or not) I present Dr. Cuzán's famous essay. It sets out to show that eliminating anarchy and replacing it with what people understand as a state is universally impossible. He introduces the terms "natural anarchy" and "political anarchy" to neophyte's vocabularies.

6. La Loi (known as The Law in English) by Claude Frederic Bastiat­ (and many other URLs)

Works well for the minarchist, and for the anarchist. Bastiat gives his theoretical defense for government that has no more powers than any individual. Some might call that radical minarchism, or some might call that anarchism. Though this work has been around for about 160 years now, it is relevant everyday. This is probably the longest piece on the list of Reads.

7. L'etat (known as either The State in English, or The Government) by Claude Frederic Bastiat­ (and many other URLs)

A quote should serve well, "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

8. "The Only Path to Tomorrow" by Ayn Rand­

This is a great little essay by a relatively young Rand. She hadn't given over to the Rightist/Conservative/Proto-Fascists just yet, and she voiced clear support for individualism against collectivism. Not an unsullied anarchist piece, but very respectable nonetheless.

9. "How Government Solved the Health Care Crisis" by Roderick Long

No list of mine would be complete without some contributions from Roderick Long. This one is specifically on the Fascist medical system in America today, and how an older and better alternative was destroyed by the state. This is also one of the pamphlets in William Gillis' Market Anarchist series.

10. "Punishment vs. Restitution: A Formulation" by Roderick Long

Necessary reading in my opinion. Just what are the implications of the libertarian principle of non-aggression in regards to criminals and crime? The piece includes a denouncement of punishment, and argues for a system of justice based on restitution as the only one compatible with libertarian principles. This piece in combination with Rothbard's "Punishment and Proportionality" can make one absolutely livid with rage when thinking about today's "justice system" (more aptly systematized injustice).

11. "A Four-Step Health-Care Solution" by Hans-Hermann Hoppe­

A second healthcare/medical services entry. This is one of my favorite short pieces by Hoppe. Clearly written, easily understood, concise, to the point.

12. "Government Medical 'Insurance'" by Dr. Murray N. Rothbard­

Continuing on a medical theme I include chapter 20 of Rothbard's Making Economic Sense, in which he discusses the problems with modern medical insurance.

13. "Gun Control and the War on Drugs" by Anthony Gregory­

An excellent little write up by Anthony Gregory, highlighting the fact that not only do the two have shared origins, they are to the libertarian, different variations of the same tune. Share this with those who support one and not the other to show them their inconsistency.

14. "Libertarianism: Left or Right?" by Sheldon Richman­

A nice article with a historical viewpoint on where libertarianism is to be placed. This was the point made by Rothbard and Karl Hess, and is today made by Long, Richman, Spangler, Conger, and myself. Libertarianism is on the extreme left, and we who count ourselves as libertarians should stop fighting the left and start leading it. Today's so-called "left" is disoriented in the absence of any concrete ideologies or programs, the universal failure of Marxism has seen to that. Left-Libertarianism can fill that void.

15. "Inside the Martial Law Act of 2006" by James Bovard

Yet another update on where America is now, from the indispensable Jim Bovard. With the erosion of Habeas Corpus protection, the near elimination of the Insurrection Act and the Posse Comitatus Act, the existence of near universal government spying, the legitimation of torture as a tactic, prison camps for enemies of the state, seizure laws reversing the presumption of innocence, a court dedicated to the presumption of constitutionality, and government intervention at every level and in every facet of Americans' everyday life, the stage is already set for dictatorship, totalitarianism, tyranny, despotism, etc. In fact, it might already be here in hiding. Read some Bovard, get informed.

16. "Pistol-Packing Positivists: Our Enemy in Blue" by William N. Grigg

A welcome slap in the face to anyone who blindly supports the police. Unfortunately not enough of a pride obliterating bitch-slap for folks like that (it would require more of a long term study I suppose), but it's a start. In the words of Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, "Police officers have become ? more than the military ever could ? the 'standing army' that was hated and feared by America's Founding Fathers." They are the strong arm of the state, they are the ones charged with carrying out the state's immoral orders, and they are the ones who will likely be called in to take care of you if in time it becomes necessary to do so.

1. Economics for Real People by Gene Callahan­

Specifically an introduction to Austrian econ, but he explains in such clarity regular economic concepts that this is a pretty good general work as well.

2. The Concise Guide To Economics by Jim Cox

Lots of short entries on important topics of economics. Great for just looking things up.

3. Capitalism: A Treatise on Economics by Dr. George Reisman

George Reisman's magnum opus. It's honestly too enormous to recommend that someone read through, so this is definitely a resource book. A textbook even. While Reisman is a statist he's probably of the least offensive variety. An inductee of the Randian cult through and through, you can hear Rand's words come out of his mouth. Even the title of the book is an ode to Rand (see the first sentence of Rand's book Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal).

4. The Case for Free Trade and Open Immigration edited by R. Ebeling and J. Hornberger

More necessary reading in my opinion. Unlike some other so-called libertarians and so-called anarchists Ebeling, Hornberger, the other authors whose essays are included in this collection, and all classical liberals have uphold the traditional libertarian position of open immigration (not managed and centrally planned immigration), and free trade (not managed and centrally planned trade). This book is made up of essays by several authors, so one can pick and choose whichever sections one wants to read. I even have chapters 6, 7, 18, 21, and 22 if anyone would like them (as they're not included). The Ebeling-Hornberger team also produced The Dangers of Socialized Medicine. So if you like these essay collection books and the style that the editors edit with check that out as well.

5. Man, Economy, and State with Power and Market by Dr. Murray N. Rothbard­

Of course I was going to include Rothbard's magnum opus. Also designed as a college textbook, this is definitely in the resource section. It's gargantuan in size and scope. Intended to supersede Mises' Human Action as the authoritative Austrian/praxeological book (and Mises admitted that it had), it's been the center of much of Austrian Economic studies since its publication.

Audio for folks who are sick of reading, or just don't want to do it?

1. For a New Liberty: The Libertarian Manifesto­

2. What Has Government Done to Our Money?­

3. The Ethics of Liberty­

4. The Market for Liberty­

5. The Law

More links for good measure:

http://www.praxeology...­­­­­ [PDF version:­]

* "The Case for a 100 Percent Gold Dollar"­

"The Case for a Genuine Gold Dollar"­

"The Goal of Monetary Reform" (audio based this is here)­

And chapters 12, 19 (specifically Part C), and 20 of Reisman's Capitalism.

Some more great reading...

Tom Paine: Common Sense and The Crisis

Douglas Hyde: Dedication and Leadership

Faustino Ballve: Essentials of Economics

Andrew Bacevich: American Empire

Ron Paul: Foreign Policy of Freedom

Justin Raimondo: Reclaiming the American Right

Friedrich Hayek: Road to Serfdom

Rothbard: America?s Great Depression

Albert Nock: Our Enemy, the State

Chalmers Johnson: Blowback

Mises: Liberalism

Rothbard: Man, Economy and State

Hoppe: Democracy: The God that Failed

Michael Scheur: Imperial Hubris

Robert Pape: Dying to Win
Chris L.
user 5604707
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Wow. Great list of stuff!
A former member
Post #: 3
This is an amazing list.

I'm adding Wall Street Banks and American Foreign Policy by Murray Rothbard to the list of files.

This is because it is short and covers the history monetary policy and foreign policy. It is a good must read for everyone.

Description -
Rothbard's Wall Street, Banks, and American Foreign Policy covers in 33 pages American History from Grover Cleveland to 1984. It covers
1. The monetary system and the Fed
2. The relationship with foreign policy.
3. The elites in charge of it all - CFR, etc.
user 10336893
Bronx, NY
Post #: 1
It seems the links from Ron Paul congressional site don't work crying: neither­ you mention nor­ (the text of the US Constitution referred to from the home page). I hope it is temporary; otherwise, we should probably let webmasters know somehow.