During this event we will pick a fairly beginner level Rails application and guide you through the following:
- How to get the codebase from GitHub
- How to set up the code so you can deploy it on your machine
- How the Rails application is set up in terms of code structure, layout, dependencies, etc
- How Rails loads a page from the frontend to the backend
- How we can add a new feature to a Rails codebase
- Free hack time on our new app
Location:We heard your feedback regarding location and we will continually be searching out for more options. Long term we hope to find a larger, more accommodating space.
Food/Drink:Pizza and drinks will be provided!
Laptop: Recommended to have a laptop with a Ruby on Rails environment up and running. If you need assistance, shoot us an e-mail.
- Our GitHub account has has the source code in the 'anatomy of a Rails app' repo that we will go over this evening. Master 'branch' has the initial state, develop branch has the added feature.
- Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby is a great resource for a beginner to understand the beauty and elegance of Ruby code. Highly recommended.