RailsMN -- Rails for Beginners Message Board meetup-group-MnBGdtFV Discussion Forum › Your Ruby on Rails projects

Your Ruby on Rails projects

Jason Hsu, R.
Jason_Hsu
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 24
What specific projects will you work on? What have you accomplished? Please post in this thread.

The trouble with most of the Ruby on Rails tutorials is that they revolve around creating a store or a miniature version of Twitter. I'm not really interested at this time in creating a store or the next Twitter. I think that not having clear enough and achievable enough goals was part of what prevented me from gaining traction in Ruby on Rails in my first attempt to learn it.

Some ideas I have are:
1. Creating web-based versions of the Android apps I have published (Upgrade Your Cereal, Find Your First Linux Distro, etc.)
2. Rebuilding my buildadistro.com web site in Ruby on Rails. (It's currently in Drupal. Since I don't have much material on it and haven't been promoting it recently, I'm willing to gut it.)
Derek R.
derekrockwell
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
The goal of the scope of those tutorials is to teach basic CRUD (create, read, update, destroy) and lingo such that you can take those concepts and apply them to grander projects. They are general and well-known enough to be able to get the ideas across as a teaching tool.

At face value they do seem a bit contrived, but at the same time it is hard to create tutorials to build things that haven't been built yet :).
A former member
Post #: 28
I agree with Derek fully, the tutorials they have will teach you how to use rails to accomplish the generic web app based tasks you need.