align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Ruby on Rails Schweiz Message Board › Looking for a team to give me a chance as a junior rails developer

Looking for a team to give me a chance as a junior rails developer

Mazembo M.
user 14304953
New York, NY
Post #: 1
I am a web developer with ruby and ruby on rails skills. I have been learning and using ruby and ruby on rails since 2007. I can say I am familiar with this web framework and the ruby language. I have read a number of books on ruby and ruby on rails including Dave Thomas’s “Agile development with ruby on rails”, David Black’s “ruby for rails” and “the well-grounded rubyist”, Ryan and Yeruda’s “Rails 3, 4 in action”, “Pro Active Record” and many other written materials that have solidified my confidence with rails. I have also gone through many tutorials including Ryan’s railscasts, Michael Hartl’s “ruby on rails tutorial” and the code school’s ruby and ruby on rails tutorials. Why Rails? Because it's the framework that impresses me the most. I like that it's opinionated and structured; I like that it allows for quick minimum viable product creation; I like that while it does a lot for you, it also exposes a lot of customization for tuning and refinement.
I have working knowledge of these technologies: CSS3, HTML5, SASS, Mysql, Postgresql, MongoDB, Rspec, Bootstrap, git, etc. In the past, I explored technologies such as programming languages C, Java, Python and Perl. I still spend some time playing around with Java and Python, but ruby and ruby on rails are where I spend most of my time. However, I have had little professional experience to use these skills in real world applications or products. And this opportunity is what I am currently looking for.
In addition to skills in web development, I also did some training in computer network administration within the framework of the CISCO network program. This makes it easy for me to understand network based architectures and internet architectures and their implications for web development.
I am not just a technology person. I have my highest degrees in fields that are not directly connected to software development: An honours degree in Philosophy, a Master’s degree in political science. While I enjoy all those topics, I would also Iike to forge a career in software development and product development. I believe that this background in social sciences endows me with special skills in how to solve technology problems ( taking into account the social nature and impact of these technologies) as well as in how to relate with customers and better meet their technological and social expectations. For now, I am looking for opportunities to develop a career in the software development industry and the fact that I have higher degrees in a different field should not be seen as a barrier, but rather be turned into an asset.
My github account does not provide the true reflection of what I am capable of doing as it currently contain old sites I had developed two years back or codes from some popular open source projects (mainly spree and refinery) I make use of for occasional clients. My LinkedIn account is still being updated. I can send a full edited CV if this is necessary.
In short, I recognize that I'm not the guy you hire because you need a product built ASAP. I'm the guy you hire, cheaper, and invest in who soon turns into a valuable player on your team. I learn quickly, and play well with others. I enjoy learning, and learning on-the-job. I thoroughly believe that the fastest way to learn anything is just to do it--and that you learn much faster when you're working on real problems, on real code, with other peers who can mentor and guide you.

For a reasonable negotiated hourly (or monthly) rate, I'd like the opportunity to work with Rails in your team and become a meaningful part of your team. I'd prefer full-time permanent, contract-to-hire, or apprenticeship type positions where I can spend at least 30 hours a week really digging into Rails, learning, and doing my best to get up to speed and produce value for the team.

Warm regards