Meet at: Parking circle, at end of road near bay
(see map). Look for hosts Rosanna & John.
Annual Thanksgiving morning run! Join us on a repeating circuit on trails and gentle hills by the bay. Get your metabolism going before indulging in rich holiday meals!
Tempo pace. Image credit: image by Norman Rockwell
What is a tempo run?
"Many running experts believe that tempo runs are the single most important workout you can do to improve your speed for any race distance." Start the day with a Tempo run in nature by the bay, with sea and city views.
More info on Tempo (link).
Details: 20 mins. warm up, 20 (or more) Tempo, 20 cool down.
A repeating circuit (paved and dirt exterior loop + interior low, hilly unpaved trails). Followed by gentle stretches (DIY).
Rain or shine.
Who: Beginners, run-walkers, guests, runners of all abilities are welcome! Form pace groups/partner as needed.
* Note: This meet is also listed on the TRG group site. Pls. RSVP with only one group and change your RSVP if you need to cancel. Thanks.
"To ensure you're doing tempo workouts at the right pace, use one of these four methods to gauge your intensity:
1) Recent Race: Add 30 to 40 seconds to your current 5-K pace or 15 to 20 seconds to your 10-K pace
2) Heart Rate: 85 to 90 percent of your maximum heart rate
3) Perceived Exertion: An 8 on a 1-to-10 scale (a comfortable effort would be a 5; racing would be close to a 10)
4) Talk Test: A question like "Pace okay?" should be possible, but conversation won't be."
Source: Your perfect tempo, Runner's World
Highlights: Views of bay and SF, sightings of birds like herons, cranes and the burrowing owl.
Facilities: bike racks, water fountains, portos
1) Perimeter loop
Miles: 1.5 miles (closed loop for running & biking)
Surface: flat, paved with parallel gravel trail
2) Interior trail
Route: out & back, from parking circle through Chavez park memorial site to NW corner
Miles: 1 RT
Surface: gentle hills, paved and dirt trails
3) Dirt trail: park to Seabreeze Route: out & back, via trail by bay, from SE corner of park to Seabreeze cafe Miles: 2.2 RT Surface: flat dirt trail
Map of trail routes (link)
* SF Bay trail is also nearby.
Comments? Want to runpool or carpool to meet? Post in comments section below.
Photo: Section of memorial. Cesar Chavez Park, Berkeley.
Photo: Kite aerial view. Cesar Chavez Park, Berkeley.
* This is not an organized training program. This is just a notice of a run some people are doing, sent out to those who might want to join them. Each person is solely responsible for oneself, and for following trail etiquette, laws, park rules, and park safety guidelines. Thanks!