The SoCal African American Cinema Connection Message Board Current & Upcoming Films › PLEASE READ AND RESPOND TO THIS NEW OUTBREAK OF BIGOTRY

PLEASE READ AND RESPOND TO THIS NEW OUTBREAK OF BIGOTRY

A former member
Post #: 7
This last weekend, an Alabama "Christian" organization calling themselves the Christian Identity Ministry burned a cross to conclude a recent conference which taught that the Bible is specific about ministering only to white people, and that the KKK is the Christian organization which God has chosen to minister to the world.

I suppose I'm overly sensitive to this at the moment as I begin work on the documentary VOICES OF SLAVERY: Former Slaves Tell Their Story. The voices of these black men, women, and children who were captured, tortured, and forced into indentured servitude are ringing in my ears, and I'm conviced now, more than ever, that their voices need to be heard. Can you help? Please follow the link below and see how you might participate and spread the word. Thank you.

VOICES OF SLAVERY DOCUMENTARY
JM
user 10231031
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 48
http://www.slaverybya...­ (documentary) debuted at The Pan African Film Festival this year and was later shown on PBS. Your story-telling seems to be similar to this documentary. Personally, I am not WOWed by your news of just one of many 100-year-old supremacy groups dwelling in the south and if that's the only thing that is motivating you to do this film, well OKAY. (Shrugs)

I remember about 5, 6, 7 years ago at the Pan African Film Festival a well-to-do Dutch woman did a very compelling documentary on her OWN ancestry and found out that her lineage was that of actual slave traders that worked in the Trans-Atlantic slave trade and not the hard-working upstanding people in business she had been told about while growing up. We met her in person and it was the first time that I've ever heard anyone openly recognize that their wealth came from the profits of slavery.

Growing up she never actually knew what her great grandparents did for a living, but was simply told they ran their own businesses. She stated that many of her relatives that were still living did not want her to do the documentary tracing her family roots, nor did they want to go on record or be a part of the documentary. It was hard for them to accept this bit of truth. It took years for her to trace her lineage and wealth back to the sugar plantations and some of the other disposable commodities that resulted in slave indentured labor. I am going to have to find her name and the name of that film again! I am not sure if it ever released to dvd. So many people at the festival that year were clearly moved by her findings and the fact she wanted to tell it.

Just giving you a different perspective of slave narrations as so many are told from the lips of victims instead of the perpetrators going on record or film.

Good Luck with your documentary. (smile)