Full Circle Sacramento, the JRR Tolkien book club, took the month of May off, for Mother's Day but we will be back Sunday June 30th. Please read Fellowship of the Ring, Chapters 1 to 12 between now and then.
Join or login to comment.
Here are discussion questions for our next meeting. Feel free to bring your own questions! We are reading Prologue and Book 1 (Chapters 1 to 12)I've started discussion questions1. According to the Prologue, The Lord of the Rings is set on OUR world a long time ago. Most people don’t think of it that way. They think it’s on another planet or plane of existence. Why did JRRT set his story on Earth?
0 · June 17, 2013
2. “In a hole, there lived a hobbit.” And from these words scratched on a paper he was grading, JRRT began his journey. Who are the real hobbits in our world and what does it mean to be a hobbit?
3. The Lord of the Rings is actually made up of six books. Two were collected in each volume of what we now think of as the “trilogy”. But JRRT wrote it in six books and each book has themes. Can you think of a theme for Book One (Chapters 1 to 12 of The Fellowship of the Ring)?
4. The relationship between the four hobbits is very different at the beginning of the book. Who do you think is Frodo’s best friend at the beginning? Who does he seem to know the least?
5. In Chapter II, Shadows of the Past, JRRT skips over 20 years in the span of two pages. When was the last time you saw a modern fantasy writer skip over 20 years in two pages? When was the last time you saw a modern fantasy writer skip over a month or a week? Why is that?
6. In Chapter VI, The Old Forest we see once again that among the trees is not the place to be. Every forest in Middle Earth is very dangerous (Mirkwood, The Old Forest, Fangorn). Why do you think that is?
7. Who is Tom Bombadil? Frodo asks twice and doesn’t really get a straight answer. What do you think.
8. Let’s play What If? The Lord of the Rings version. It works like this, I pose a what if question and you answer it to the end of the story. Ready? What if Frodo gave Tom Bombadil the One Ring? And …go!9. And finally, I've written a blog about reading the Fellowship of the Ring to my seven year old daughter. Where should I post it?
Great, thanks for posting! :)
0 · May 15, 2013
For more info about www.sacgeeks.com, go to http://www.meetup.com/sacgeeks/about/
For more info about the Best of Geeky Sacramento playing card project, go to www.sacgeekscards.com.
Collect them all! Be on the look out for specials & contests!
See who was voted the best in the Closed Polls section under "More".
1120 Fulton Ave Suite K
Sacramento, Ca 95825
1908 El Camino Ave., Sacto, CA 95815 / 916-565-2546
9121 Kiefer Blvd # A, Sacramento, CA 95826
A Division of TimePunk, Incorporated
Sac Amtgard Meetup
Sacramento Area Gaming Enthusiasts
Phone: (530) 350-3935
Working to Grow Your Business
9005 Elk Grove Blvd, #1, Elk Grove, CA 95624
Providing sacgeeks a special discount membership & other perks!
Paranormal & supernatural research
English Country Dancers group
A local geeky interview/entertainment podcast.
Author of "Red Storm"
website building company
Friendship, Hope and Charity, Rockabilly Style!
Who ya gonna call?
Appearances at charity functions, fundraisers, grand openings & exhibits
Affordable custom costumes
Humorous Steampunk Video Podcast
Find even more Meetups, Clubs, Stores, Events and more!
Show your love for SacGeeks
776 magnetic manifesters
262 Magic players
501 Fun Seekers
363 Sac Faire Folk
We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.
— Rafaël, started French Conversation Group
Meetup members, Log in