align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Sacramento Speaker & Entrepreneur Network Message Board › HELP! FEMA is preventing us from fixing our FIRE damaged home!

HELP! FEMA is preventing us from fixing our FIRE damaged home!

A former member
Post #: 25
On Aug. 24th, 2012 we, (I, my husband, our 3yr old daughter, and 18 month old son), suffered a devastating house fire. We have owned our house since Aug. 1998.
FEMA regulations restrict building in Natomas. If the repairs are greater than 50% of the original cost of the house (structure only), the City of Sacramento cannot issue a permit unless we build above the flood plain – 20 + feet in the air! Not only can we not afford to do that, but we would be the only home out of nearly 30,000 at that height. The way it is described to me is that someone is permitted to add-on to their house which will increase its value from $200,000 to $299,000, but that I can't spend what is necessary (as determined by my insurance and mortgage companies) to fix my house to its original value.

Now the insurance company has informed us that if we are not permitted to fix our house that they will give us the “fair market value” for the house, which will be insufficient to pay off the mortgage. We would be left with the remaining payments, flood insurance, taxes, and the cost of maintaining a worthless vacant lot, AND have no money to towards the purchase of a new house.

The worst part of it is that neither FEMA nor the City of Sacramento is informing the residents of Natomas that you WILL NOT be able to fix your home if it is damaged.

We live in an area at risk of flooding, protected by levees, but we don’t suffer from floods. It’s not as if FEMA is trying to get all of the 30,000 homes in Natomas above the flood plain. Our house would be the only one sitting 20+ feet in the air! FEMA shouldn’t be allowed to prevent someone from fixing their damaged home while they allow others, right next door to ADD ON to their home!

This is REAL and happening to us RIGHT NOW!!!