Sacramento Area Skeptics Message Board › Climate Change lecture

Climate Change lecture

Jason M.
user 10441143
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 5
Hello All,

As skeptics and critical thinkers, I imagine that quite a few of us have had some exchanges and voiced strong opinions on climate change from both ends of the spectrum. It is a confusing subject for most of us in that the causes and effects are not very attuned to our senses and that the effects may only become noticeable over many decades. Therefore, most of us are left to form our views about this subject based upon expert opinions of others. Because the outcome of this debate involves high global economic stakes, it is an extremely politically charged debate. As skeptics, this should lead us to wonder about the motives of the experts from which we form our opinions, especially when they appear to be on the extremes of the debate. I suspect that a lot of our differences in opinion on climate change stem from the fact that we are getting our information from different sources.

To this end, I thought it would be worth sharing with the group a source I recently came upon when researching this topic. He is a professor of physics at UC Berkley named Richard Muller. He is also a faculty senior scientist at Lawrence Berkley Laboratory and a winner of a MacArthur Fellowship, among many other awards. He appears to be moderate on the subject in that he both believes anthropogenic climate change is likely occurring and yet attacks many of the faulty premises and exaggerations of Al Gore’s film, “An Inconvenient Truth”.

Among the classes he taught was a class called Physics for Future Presidents. This was a physics class geared toward non-science majors to familiarize them with important current scientific issues. One of the lecture topics was on climate change and may be found on the web page below in both video and mp3 audio formats.

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978515­

A more condensed video power point presentation may be viewed at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BerkeleyLab#p/u/101/xxCSkckihDk­

I found his lecture refreshing in that the content was easy to understand and appeared to be an objective look at climate change and the science behind it. I believe this is important as this topic has been heavily politicized and polarized by zealots on both extremes of the issue. A further refreshing note is that he provides sources for where his information comes from.

Hopefully you all get a chance to check out his lecture and are able to use it to add to the foundation of your understanding of the issue. Also, he has a lot of other good lectures at the site involving other topics of interest to skeptics, such as relative risks and benefits to society of physics related issues such as nuclear energy, radioactivity, electric cars, etc.

Enjoy!