SACRAMENTO VEGAN SOCIETY Message Board › Lose Weight: REMOVE ADDED OILS!!!

Lose Weight: REMOVE ADDED OILS!!!

This message board is read-only.

Linda M.
Lassen
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 257
"OIL IS OIL, no matter what food it is extracted from (a soyabean, an olive, a flax see, or a coconut), all ALL oil is bad for you!" Drs. Matt Lederman and Pulde. Both coconut and olive oil marketeers have so many people convinced of the power of their extracted oils...they are PROCESSED FOOD and are 100% FAT. "The fat you eat, is the FAT you wear!" Dr. John McDougall.
A former member
Post #: 96
I think a lot of us understand omega 3's to be good for the brain, especially for pregnant and nursing women. DHA is essential for individuals, and especially dependent offspring (in utero or nursing.). Further, fat is digested and used by the body, particularly the brain. It does not migrate from the stomach to the hips. Although fats are controversial, and heating them to high temperatures can be toxic, there is certainly evidence of good fats, like olive oil. http://www.psychology...­ I think that many of us are vegan primarily for ethical reasons, rather than health reasons. Reasonable minds can disagree on this one. I make sure that my small children get the omegas that they need in Earth Balance spread and other ways. Their brains are growing. Your comment pertained more particularly to losing weight. I still question whether completely omitting all fats is physically or psychologically healthy. Any way, there are many types of vegans, and they each have differing nutritional needs.
Beatrice
user 12389010
Folsom, CA
Post #: 22
We are talking about added oils. Oils extracted from a whole food, like olives. Every whole plant food you eat contains oil in the right balance. We are not talking about a fat-free, oil-free diet. Eating whole foods means you get all the nutrition in the right balance. The omega 3's and all the other nutrients that have become buzz words these days (works great for advertisers). Eat whole foods and you won't need a degree in chemistry to know what to put in your mouth.
Mary L.
user 13731651
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
There is plenty of fat in the plant world. Before I just thought it was nuts seeds and avocados. I was very surprised to see that 1 serving of oatmeal has 3 grams of fat! That's when it started to sink in for me that added oil was too much fat.
A former member
Post #: 97
Broad sweeping generalizations are dangerous, and the above advice could be disastrous for pregnant and nursing women, children, etc. Processed does not = evil, unless we are talking about twinkies and cola. Tempeh, tofu, miso, and nut milks are all processed. Evil? Doubt it! Fat that you eat is metabolized and many reasonable minds can disagree about health benefits. If you think it's bad, then skip it. I think that the above claims could be adopted as gospel, and could have disastrous effects on pregnant or nursing mothers in particular. That is all that I am saying. Further, if people are made to feel bad about their (even oily) veganism, then they may become alienated. As a vegan of over 20 years, I have experienced my share of judgment, mostly from other animal rights activists and vegetarians!!! Reasonable minds can differ. I follow my conscience. I am highly educated and can read. I just don't like broad-sweeping generalizations. I think that they are dangerous. That's it. No hard feelings here. I for one think that we need not try and "out-vegan" each other. We should respect each other and the choices that we have made for the betterment of nonhumans.
Linda M.
Lassen
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 258
We can get the best oils inside our food, not extracted. Whole foods have all the essential oils and are syngistically designed for best results!
Sabine
tamesabine
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 115
As a long time vegetarian, who had a very hard time hooking up (prior to meet-up) with like-minded individuals (sans meat), I appreciate this conversation and the various points that are brought out. I have to tell you I"ve learned a grea deal from Linda and the other knowledgeable persons that take a little of their time to add comments in these sites.

As I am trying to lose weight, I see that oil in my diet is probably one of my worst enemies. I didn't even think of it as a problem until recently and am having a very hard time not frying things in olive oil. At least I am using a little less each time and hope I can one day not even "fry" anymore at all.

Thanks for keeping a dieting discussion going, what else can we do to keep it off, Linda?

Linda M.
Lassen
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 271
Dear Sabine,
thanks for kind words! Yes, oil is something I must not use at all...for so many reasons, number one being it adds fat quickly. If you are still using it. ask me how to make what you want without it as you will not lose weight while using it at all! I can promise that!

I do not have one person who wants to lose weight keep using or eating oils. Me included. I will never add oils back into my diet. I go only to restaurants who prepare oil free foods for us...

While trying to lose weight, avoid (for now)...nuts, nut butters, seeds, olives and avocados. Sorry but when trying to lose weight, these add in the fat you wear quickly...I must also avoid these. I gained 10 lbs. eating one avocado per week and a handful of pistachios at nite!!!!

Email to me a 3 day food diary and I can help see what is going on! veganmentor@gmail.com

Hugs,
linda