SACRAMENTO VEGAN SOCIETY Message Board › county fair

county fair

This message board is read-only.

Linda
notatwit
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 6
Is there any plan to protest the gestation crates at cal expo this year? just wondering...
Robert W.
user 5645573
West Sacramento, CA
Post #: 26
Is there any plan to protest the gestation crates at cal expo this year? just wondering...
Do they actually have gestation crates at the State Fair? Sounds like a great photo opportunity and perhaps an article to follow. Perhaps some leaflets specifically educating about gestation crates at the the point where they are being observed would be effective. It is a little late for planning though as i am just now reading this post. I can imagine the State Fair is a tough venue for effective animal advocacy. After all we, would be trying to evoke logic and reason from people who eat deep fried Twinkies. Photo op!
Catherine Vade Bon...
user 83873162
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
Yes, they have farrowing crates -- which is what they are called -- at the state fair in Sac. I have seen them. They are as disgusting as any picture shows. The Sac County Fair does NOT use them any longer, but even with pleading from members of the city council and many others, they refuse to change to pens and straw where mama pigs can interact with their babies. UCDavis Vets say that farrowing crates are approved for use on farms and so it is safe and better for the babies and the mamas. Of course, the humane world disagrees. But ALDF has now filed suit against UC regents and the state fair to make them change. I am working in the PETA booth, and, I can tell you that "effective animal advocacy" is actually easy and even fun. The responses have been 95% positive and even the fair goers who don't agree are courteous. Stop by and see us. Go to the fountain; turn right. We are the 5th booth down on the right. This year we are working on informing re dairy. If you have some literature about the cruelty of farrowing crates, bring it by and we will pass it out.