addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SACRAMENTO VEGAN SOCIETY Message Board › FISH FACTS!

FISH FACTS!

This message board is read-only.

Linda M.
Lassen
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 52

I would like to express my concern about commercial fishing. It is destroying our oceans and the 90% of our largest fish, i.e. tuna and swordfish, have disappeared. The academic journal "Science" estimates that by the year 2048 our oceans will have been completely over-fished. With the large ships at the size of football fields, satellites and technological equipment, we can remove millions of tons of fish at once.
It is terribly cruel too and, just like your dog, or a cow, fish feel pain and they are intelligent beings who will avoid pain. Fish, like us, have spinal cords and proprioceptors for feeling pain.
Fish farming does not work for many reason; inefficiency is that farmed fish need to be fed 5 lbs. of commercially-caught fish for every 1 pound of flesh they produce. And, in fish factory farming, the fish get sick and must be given antibiotics, dioxin, and tetracycline to stay alive.
We need to encourage people to stop eating fish. They are high in cholesterol, their flesh contains mercury and heavy metals, some have parasites.
Camilla
user 8372736
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 262
And let's not forget the massacre that goes on in some countries such as barbarically slaughtering dolphins, whales and baby seals, deemed a "ritual", but we aren't stupid, we know the truth- these intelligent, sentient beings are a threat to fishermen because they are competition for fish. So, by not eating fish, you are helping to preserve the ocean and your health because fish contain high levels of mercury, dioxins, DDT, PCB's, arsenic and lead, as well as the dolphins, whales and seals that are considered competition as they NEED to eat fish, we do not!
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm glad there's a fish discussion--the medical profession has been saying the fish is good for you because of fishes' "good fat, " omega-3, and high protein. I get omega-3 from my soymilk and flaxseed capsules.