Note: this group is presently public. Joining is instant and automatic, so answering any questions here is totally 100% optional. Q1: Some players need rides. Roughly, where do you live? Where did you grow up?
No answer yet
Once in a while we meet after soccer. Do you have a nearby restaurant you like? What's your favorite food?
No answer yet
What else do you do for work and/or play?
No answer yet
So far, we’re unique. The foam balls sold in stores are too small for real soccer. But things could change. Excluding us, do you know of any other games, past or present, with adults using a foam ball (kid’s or full size) for soccer?
Hi, we play "safer soccer" on the weekends in Silver Spring, Maryland, north of the beltway by 5 minutes. You're welcome to join us. We use a special *foam* ball. The ball is harder to dribble, but many studies link soccer to brain damage (tau). Another reason many prefer our foam ball is because they just laugh when getting beamed instead of reeling in pain.
To get a feel for the group, you're welcome to read the extremely terse, dry, and boring weekly reminders about future games and recap about past games here. All Americans new to soccer are encouraged to view this educational video before playing.
Special rules of our group:
Because Meetup.com does not allow tiered fees, your rsvp does not necessarily mean you can play for free. Cost: free if you are helping the group. One way to help the group: do at least four of (1) being somewhat worthy of being passed to the entire game, RSVPing here with (2) face picture using (3) your real full name (4) at least a day in advance and on (5) http://meetup.com/dcsoccer, where safer soccer games are also listed among traditional games, (6) get a friend to help the group (7) learn why we exist by reviewing a. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SltxL7VbooA (2 minutes) b. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/lea... minutes 1:24-1:29 (6 minutes) c. http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/13/study... and d. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_trauma.... Cost for doing 4 of above 7 above things: $10/game or $20/season. Cost for people who just want to play and can only do 0-3 things: $40/game or $80/season. To maximize game quality and safety, payment does not 100% guarantee a right to play. It is your responsibility to know what you owe. In all cases where you would need to pay, it can be free if and only if you risk and pay $50 and do 5/6 for the next 3 consecutive games, when you can get back the $50.
Treat the ref with respect. You may politely question the calls you are pretty sure about. Indeed, please help her by calling any fouls, outs, etc., since we only have one instead of a half dozen. However, to avoid needless interruptions, post/pre-game or off-field is the only time you should propose rule changes.
Some handballs may be ignored by the ref, especially if the intent was to protect your face or body from the ball.
Next point wins: 10 minutes to the end of a game you and your team’s captain might need to make a decision near the end. (Yes, both the blue and red teams need to pick a captain.) You see, we have our own special endgame called “next point wins” for when the losing team is losing by more than 2 points. It also helps make it competitive the entire game. But “next point wins” isn’t guaranteed. (If it were, the winning team would avoid pulling ahead by more than 2 points.) So at 10 minutes before game's end, the losing team can have the right to request a next point wins endgame by asking me (Jason) or the ref. The winning team then has a counteracting opportunity to accept this or to contest it by trying to pick two coin tosses in a row correctly. If they get both correct (25% chance), the game is played out normally. Otherwise (75% chance), the next point wins endgame is allowed. If anyone scores inside the 10 minutes that team wins, but if nobody scores inside of the 10 minutes the team with the higher score going into “next point wins” wins. Therefore, if you are on the winning team, there is a good chance you need to play a totally different soccer game, a “keep away” game, in which you are extremely defensive the last 10 minutes, unless their defense is weak, which it often is during in next point wins.
Buddy policy: you’re welcome to bring friends since it is a way of helping the group, but see rule 1. (They need to rsvp or contribute to purchases of new balls.)