Join SDNA as we march for the second time in the annual SanDiego LGBT Pride Parade. This was an absolute blast in 2011 and we had a great turnout. Our parade contingent will yet again be combined with any/all other interested groups and individuals that are a part of the San Diego Coalition of Reason. If you're a representative from one of those groups, please get in touch with me to coordinate.
We owe a HUGE Thank You to the Atheist Coalition - they generously sponsored SDCoR's registration in the parade this year!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The annual San Diego LGBT Pride Parade is the 5th largest in the United States attracting 150,000 cheering spectators and significant media participation.
Date: Saturday, July 21, 2012
Time: 11:30am – 1/2pm. Plan for heavy traffic, using shuttles, and arrival at the staging area no later than 11:30am.
Our contingent is #134 (out of 175), which means we will start marching at around 12pm. This is great to know, since we wound up waiting for quite a few hours last year BUT it also means that you should allow even more time to get there - it gets more and more crowded as the day goes on.
Parking: Park at the Naval Medical Hospital, 34800 Bob Wilson Drive, San Diego, CA 92134. Free shuttles run from 8am – 2pm.
General Location: The parade begins at University Ave. and Normal Street, proceeds west on University Avenue to 6th Avenue, turns south on 6th Avenue, ending at Balboa Drive and Upas Street. It's approximately a 2 mile walk.
Our contingent’s exact staging location: Zone I, which is on Lincoln Street, between Center and Normal Streets. (I'm uploading a pdf of the map to the documents section of the group.)
Theme: America's PRIDE
Things you need to know!
Reading, understanding, and agreeing to the following are conditions of marching with SDCoR in the PRIDE Parade. If you have any questions, please contact me before the Parade. Marchers who violate any of the following guidelines on the day of the event will be asked to leave immediately and may be subject to arrest and/or fines.
The not-so-fun stuff (don’ts)
• Do not throw anything into the crowd. It’s fine to hand out items (and we’ll be doing a lot of that) but they must be handed – not tossed – into the crowd. Violations can result in a $150 fine.
• Do not engage with protestors. There will absolutely be protestors, usually of a religious nature. At the request of the PRIDE organizers and the SDPD, we are not to engage with them.
• No Nudity. According to the City of San Diego, nudity is “devoid of an opaque covering which covers the genitals, pubic hair, buttocks, perineum, anus or anal region of any person, or any portion of the breast at or below the areola of any female person.”
• No jumping on and off of moving vehicles.
• No alcohol or illicit drugs.
• Leave your dogs and other pets at home! We will be on hot asphalt for several hours. The parade is no place for our furry friends.
• We will have a decorated vehicle. Do not touch, decorate, hop on, reach in, or otherwise interact with the vehicle unless directly instructed to do so by the owner or me.
• Keep your valuables on you at all times. Do not leave them in the vehicle, in a bag of parade hand-outs, or anywhere else.
• Listen to PRIDE Volunteers if they give you a direction.
• Disperse immediately at the end of the parade, as directed by volunteers (i.e. GTFO the middle of the road).
The fun stuff! (do’s)
• Dress up! The more over-the-top, the better! PRIDE is one of the best times of the year to go all out. Get freaky. Yer momma would want it that way.
• Get a t-shirt! If you want to leave your PVC corset at home, you can buy a San Diego Coalition of Reason PRIDE T-shirt to sport in the parade instead: http://www.cafepress.com/sdcor
• Follow the theme (if ya like) of “America’s Pride”
• Hand out flyers, cards, candy, etc.! We’ll have lots of SDCoR and SDNA goodies to give out. These will be distributed in the morning.
• Wear comfy walking shoes!
• Do double duty by handing out “It Gets Better Materials” while you’re marching with us. Go here to register: http://www.itgetsbetter.org/page/s/2012-pride
• Come to the sign making party Thursday night: http://www.meetup.com/san-diego-atheists-agnostics/events/72164022/?a=co1_grp&rv=co1
• Show up! Even if you weren’t planning on it, don’t have a sign, and aren’t in costume – just show up! We'll cover you in rainbows and give you a sign to hold.
• Bring your camera – we need a few people who are decent photographers to come ready to take pics of our contingent.
• When it’s over, celebrate a job well done! The parade ends where the festival begins, so you can head directly in to Balboa Park or to one of the great bars/restaurants in Banker’s Hill and Hillcrest. There won’t be an official SDNA event afterward, but people will likely split up into smaller groups and go out.