addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Neighborhood Atheists and Agnostics Message Board The SDNA General Discussion Forum › Am I the only atheist that still uses the G*damn or J.C. words to utter con

Am I the only atheist that still uses the G*damn or J.C. words to utter contempt or frustration

Efren
user 20961581
San Diego, CA
Post #: 71
Welcome Claudia!
Denise T.
user 84828382
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
I am new too! Nice to meet everyone:)
Efren
user 20961581
San Diego, CA
Post #: 74
I am new too! Nice to meet everyone:)
Welcome aboard!
Stephanie
user 27947042
San Diego, CA
Post #: 13
Hi, I'm new to this group :) When this topic showed up in my summary email, I had to jump in. I've adopted the expression "Oh my Gourd!" from an ex-mormon friend of mine. It makes me chuckle to myself to imagine an all-powerful butternut squash or pumpkin!

But there really IS an all-powerful pumpkin! Haven't you ever seen that Charlie Brown Halloween special? :D
Angel
x1xAngelx1x
San Diego, CA
Post #: 73
Ugh! I swear like a sailor sometimes and I reaaaaaaally could get in *major* trouble doing it if the wrong ears hear. I do think it's kind of ironic that I am a non-believer and yet I still use "God's name in vain." I credit it to having been raised in a traditional, church-going family. It's just vestiges from childhood. Sometimes when I'm scared something bad will happen, I clasp my hands together and fervently mutter, "Please, please, please!" LOL! Who the *hell* am I saying that to? There's no one there! I *know* there's no one there, but it's kind of a learned response. When we're feeling strongly emotional (as in feeling utter contempt or frustration.....and, in my example, desperation) we are not exactly using our logical minds. Stuff comes out of our mouths in a tumultuous moment that makes us shake our heads at ourselves later when the coast is clear. Cut yourself some slack.
Efren
user 20961581
San Diego, CA
Post #: 77
Ugh! I swear like a sailor sometimes and I reaaaaaaally could get in *major* trouble doing it if the wrong ears hear. I do think it's kind of ironic that I am a non-believer and yet I still use "God's name in vain." I credit it to having been raised in a traditional, church-going family. It's just vestiges from childhood. Sometimes when I'm scared something bad will happen, I clasp my hands together and fervently mutter, "Please, please, please!" LOL! Who the *hell* am I saying that to? There's no one there! I *know* there's no one there, but it's kind of a learned response. When we're feeling strongly emotional (as in feeling utter contempt or frustration.....and, in my example, desperation) we are not exactly using our logical minds. Stuff comes out of our mouths in a tumultuous moment that makes us shake our heads at ourselves later when the coast is clear. Cut yourself some slack.
Been there done that........laughing out loud!
A former member
Post #: 15
"Follow the Gourd"- Life of Brian.
Dan
user 10079649
Carlsbad, CA
Post #: 293
I think it's a habitual idiom/memetic phrase more than a religious expression, but I must confess I sometimes do it just to offend a xtian (immature, but FUN).

I do however make a point of NEVER saying "Bless You" when someone sneezes. I say "Gesundheit." And if someone says it to me, I respond with "Thank you Father" in an effort to aknowledge their status as ordained...yeah, I am snarky. It's true.
Diana D.
dianadiehl1
San Diego, CA
Post #: 24
I see no reason not to use culturally common swear words. I try not to in public too much as it is not my desire to offend people, whether using "Jesus Christ on a crutch!" or Mo-fo. I don't find swear words to be unacceptable. They are a great way to blow off steam. The one place I do find them bad is when they are used as weapons to hurt in an argument, for instance with spousal units or children. When flung with vitriol, whether religious or not, swear words can be hurtful. Connotation and context is everything, and they can be demeaning. But "Odin's balls!" is as valid as any other self-expression in other situations. Ghost Hunters? Hey, I like fantasy as much as the next guy.
Nichole
Nikki_Slaughter
San Diego, CA
Post #: 20
I just learned "cotdammit" on one of the blogs I read. I love it! You're cotdamned right!