The San Diego New Atheists and Agnostics Message Board The SDNA General Discussion Forum › Is Emily Deschanel's character on Bones the only openly

Is Emily Deschanel's character on Bones the only openly

Efren
user 20961581
San Diego, CA
Post #: 72
atheist on mainstream prime-time?

JUst saw an episode of Bones and Emily Deschanel's character frequently mentions her disbelief in a higher power. Just wondering out loud if there are any pop culture characters that are outright atheists?

Thanks for any input.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 174
There's quite a few and I'm sure we could find plenty through a web search. Immediately coming to mind are:

• Dr. House in House
  • Britta and Jeff in Community
  • Kurt and Finn in Glee
  • Dr. Cox in Scrubs
  • The Doctor #10 in Dr. Who
  • Dexter
  • Patrick in The Mentalist

Efren
user 20961581
San Diego, CA
Post #: 73
There's quite a few and I'm sure we could find plenty through a web search. Immediately coming to mind are:

• Dr. House in House
  • Britta and Jeff in Community
  • Kurt and Finn in Glee
  • Dr. Cox in Scrubs
  • The Doctor #10 in Dr. Who
  • Dexter
  • Patrick in The Mentalist

Dexter? Yeah, forgot about him. You know theists though would love to point him out when trying to prove what atheism can lead to.
Nichole
Nikki_Slaughter
San Diego, CA
Post #: 11
I think that show does an outstanding job of representing atheists in a positive light. I'm sure you guys don't care, but Emily Deschanel is also a vegan (might be a vegetarian now, not sure) and she makes sure to sneak some vegan propaganda into the show here and there, too, without being militant or distancing. Bones is all about repping the outliers!
Debbie A.
DebbieHFSD
San Diego, CA
Post #: 84
Alicia on "The Good Wife" is an open atheist. So is her husband's political opponent. Their atheism was recently addressed as something to keep under wraps so as not to offend the electorate.
A former member
Post #: 32
I did some thinking back on this one since I'm a fan of the show who has watched every episode. Y'all are right in that she is a declared atheist but here are some things to consider in no special order:

1) Bones is portrayed as an emotionless scientist who has trouble expressing herself and having fun.
2) I think they want us to believe that her atheism is just a natural extension of her logical, scientific side.
3) I don't think anyone else on the show is an atheist.
4) Sealy is her constant "savior" by showing her the emotional and love side of life.
5) I believe she caved on raising the baby in a theist fashion and I think the baby was baptized.
Efren
user 20961581
San Diego, CA
Post #: 75
Alicia on "The Good Wife" is an open atheist. So is her husband's political opponent. Their atheism was recently addressed as something to keep under wraps so as not to offend the electorate.
Figures....they would handle atheism like that, like they do in the real world.
Efren
user 20961581
San Diego, CA
Post #: 76
I did some thinking back on this one since I'm a fan of the show who has watched every episode. Y'all are right in that she is a declared atheist but here are some things to consider in no special order:

1) Bones is portrayed as an emotionless scientist who has trouble expressing herself and having fun.
2) I think they want us to believe that her atheism is just a natural extension of her logical, scientific side.
4) Sealy is her constant "savior" by showing her the emotional and love side of life.
5) I believe she caved on raising the baby in a theist fashion and I think the baby was baptized.
Yeah, I think she "caved" as well.
Nichole
Nikki_Slaughter
San Diego, CA
Post #: 12

These are good points. I think what I like is that she never conceeds that Booth is right, she kind of agrees to disagree. But I was disappointed in the Baptism, even though I think the purpose was to show compromise in the relationship.

I also thought it was funny how they handled the birth - a sudden surprise delivery in a barn (aka manger). It was the show's way of compromising that Bones wanted a natural home birth and Booth wanted her in a hospital. To which I say, "I'm the damn woman, it's my body and I'll have the baby where I want, thankyouverymuch." BUT that's a whole other topic, lol.