addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Green Building › The UK is set to unveil the first zero-emission house

The UK is set to unveil the first zero-emission house

A former member
Post #: 13
http://news.bbc.co.uk...­

First zero-emission home unveiled

The UK is set to unveil the first zero-emission house that will set the environmental standard for all new homes in future.

The two-bedroom house is insulated so that it loses two-thirds less heat than a standard home.

It also features solar panels, a biomass boiler and water efficiency devices such as rainwater harvesting.

The design meets rules which will apply by 2016, as the UK tries to make its housing stock more energy efficient.

The Kingspan Off-Site's Lighthouse design is the first to achieve level six of the Code for Sustainable Homes.

About a quarter of UK carbon emissions come from homes.

I wonder what the various levels are for the "Code for Sustainable Homes" and how long will it be before we get something similar. Assuming we don't already.

Biomass boilers run on organic fuels such as wood pellets and count as zero-emission because the amount of carbon dioxide they give off when they are burned is offset by the amount that was absorbed when the crop was grown.

Ok, as you all know, I'm on the fence with this CO2 stuff. However didn't we pass laws in the 60s to stop burning our trash because of the pollution it produced? And if they can justify burning organic fuels then can't an argument be made that all fossil fuel is also organic? It was produced 60 million years ago but still it's originally organic. I just don't get these fads.

Hopefully we'll start seeing better house designs that harvest all of their energy needs instead of burning stuff sometime in the near future. Maybe that will be in the Code for Sustainable Homes at level 7.
Jeff
user 4221888
San Diego, CA
Post #: 13

Ok, as you all know, I'm on the fence with this CO2 stuff. However didn't we pass laws in the 60s to stop burning our trash because of the pollution it produced? And if they can justify burning organic fuels then can't an argument be made that all fossil fuel is also organic? It was produced 60 million years ago but still it's originally organic. I just don't get these fads.

There is some argument that fossil fuels were not created by decaying organic matter, and are therefore not "fossil" fuels. The theory states that carbon based fuels were created in the mantle underneath the Earth's crust and seeped upward.

http://en.wikipedia.o...­

This theory is less popular in the West and more popular in Russia, where it originated.

If carbon fuels came from deep within the Earth, then burning these fuels would make it possible to raise the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere to a much higher level than there has ever been before.

As for outlawing the burning of trash, I can imagine that those laws were passed not because CO2 was produced, but because some types of of trash (plastics, for example) produce poisonous fumes when they are burned.

That's a concern as plastic proliferates worldwide, and people run out of room for trash and start burning plastic. You're producing some of the most toxic gases known.

This one line was taken from an unrelated article on the spread of plastic waste being found in the oceans and the related negative effects of plastic pollution. A frightening environmental issue on its own, to say the least. You can read the article here:

http://www.bestlifeon...­