addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Green Building › Solar for Homeowners Workshop - 8/29

Solar for Homeowners Workshop - 8/29

A former member
Post #: 52
There will be a workshop on Solar for Homeowners at lunchtime, this Wednesday - 8/29 at the California Center for Sustainable Energy.

See this link for more information and to sign up if you are interested.

http://sdenergy.org/E...­
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi, new here to the group so want to make some noise from the stands for a second or two! I went to the Solar for Homeowners Workshop and found it very interesting. Mostly the speaker focused on deciphering SDGE electricity bills and how you can add up bills for the year (in kWh) and size a solar system to cut away the electricity you are buying in the higher priced tiers, from a simple calc.

It was interesting seeing the responses from homeowners on the issue of is it viable to invest in a system, on learning that the cost of a solar power system is very high. Even with rebates, the price is a large sum to have a system installed. The people at the San Diego Regional Energy Office are needing as much to be sales people as promoters of sustainable generation in order to entice the average home owning professional to fork out for the good of the environment.

This made last nights discovery on a web browse more interesting. Grid Alternatives in the Bay Area (http://www.gridaltern...­) was started by two Engineers to empower low income families to build their own solar systems. The group has installed several solar power PV systems for low income families, using volunteers who offer their services in exchange for training in Solar installation, and financing it by securing low income loans for the occupants to cover the costs, and I believe having some of the hardware donated by the utility company. The group handles everything from design to construction to filling in the paperwork for the utility company. Very cool, I thought, and I wondered how far other people could go along a path to building their own system, through getting expertise or hardware donated. It's just a thought for now, but I intend to look into it some more.