addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Politics & Debate › Pickens: Old School Oilman joins the movement!

Pickens: Old School Oilman joins the movement!

Bill S
Beesh
San Diego, CA
Post #: 226
Famous Texan T. Boone Pickens, long time and big time oil man, is now our best friend!
I guess he wants to get even richer and save our sorry asses.
$700B going overseas for foreign oil, that's a lot of cattle!

So he's all about Wind, Solar now!

Oh yah, and he wants you to fill up your car with Natural Gas too, I guess no one's perfect.... But I suppose that's better that handing the money over to Chavez in Venezuela or to our other great friends in the Middle East?

Anyway, I signed up on his site and maybe we'll get some more members coming our way. Check it out and let us know what you think....

www.pickensplan.com
A former member
Post #: 232
This is the second time you've mentioned Chavez. You sound as if you are down on the guy.

Do you realize he's about the only foreign leader we've overthrown in a CIA coup where the nation rose up and freed him from us? I hear lots of bad things about him from our media but his country and most of Latin America thinks he is a hero for standing up to the big oil companies and kicking them out. He even lined up vast quantities of medical and food relief for the victims of Katrina though none of it was allowed in due to the Bush administration. So I don't quite know what to think of the guy. Is he the evil ruthless dictator our patriotic president says he is or is he something else?

Anyways, it's good to see big oil men getting behind the green movement. I'm sure he'll figure out, given enough time, how to monopolize renewable wind and solar and safely store the excess away as Hydrogen...
Bill S
Beesh
San Diego, CA
Post #: 228
Dave,
Wake up, Chavez is making friends with the Iranians and wants to screw us. He was also Castro's best friend, you know, the guy that let the Russians put nukes on island pointing at New York City.
-Bill
A former member
Post #: 238
There are usually more than two sides to each story. I try to keep an open mind and apply the golden rule. However if you only want to blast him and the Iranians go ahead. It seems to be the thing to do in our country. Just look at our current Administration.
Bill S
Beesh
San Diego, CA
Post #: 229
Venezuela is a major producer of oil products, which remains the keystone of the Venezuelan economy. Chávez has gained a reputation as a price hawk in OPEC, pushing for stringent enforcement of production quotas and higher target oil prices. At a June 2006 meeting, Venezuela was the only OPEC country calling for lowered production to drive oil prices higher.
A former member
Post #: 240
Venezuela is a major producer of oil products, which remains the keystone of the Venezuelan economy. Chávez has gained a reputation as a price hawk in OPEC, pushing for stringent enforcement of production quotas and higher target oil prices. At a June 2006 meeting, Venezuela was the only OPEC country calling for lowered production to drive oil prices higher.

I'm a bit confused why you think it's bad for a country to try to make money off its resources. Did somebody pass a law saying all countries are suppose to give it up for the USA?

On another tact. Are high gas prices a bad thing? It may be a character fault on my part but I'm enjoying these high gas prices. Call it schardenfreude if you will.

I decided to google this "Chavez and OPEC" thingy. Here's what I found:
July 4th, 2008: Venezuela calls on OPEC to subsidize oil for poor countries.
July 13th, 2008: Venezuela subsidizes 11 billion in gas products

I know that Chavez calls our President all sorts of things every chance he gets. He even called Bush the Devil at the United Nations and said something like he can smell the brimstone wherever our President goes. And Bush tells us Chavez is a bad guy. I think I'll just sit on a fence and see what the next President has to say about Chavez.

To sum it up. I don't see Chavez as a bad guy.