addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Solar & Electric › Power Factor Correction vs Power Factor Optimization

Power Factor Correction vs Power Factor Optimization

Harold L
user 6850407
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
Power factor correction (PFC) equipment is usually installed near the main electrical service as it enters a building to reduce any power factor (PF) penalty charges that are sometimes imposed by the utility company tariffs. The electric supplier delivers “dirty power” (low PF) and basically forced you to clean it up or pay a penalty charge. But like all capacitors, they only work from where they are installed back to the electricity supplier or the source. Capacitors installed here do not help the customer in removing I²R losses (Amps² x Resistance = Power) nor the inefficiency and wastefulness of the motors. The National Electrical Code (NEC) requires all electrical components to be at least 125% oversized to prevent fires and injury. So it is easy to conclude that all systems have significant losses. PFC equipment is considered a 20th Century technology and are mainly designed and installed to help the electric company save money.

The KVAR® Energy Controller (EC) systems are pre-engineered and custom built and installed on the demand side of electrical systems as close to the motor or inductive loads as possible; on a motor by motor basis. By installing these customized systems at that location, it greatly increases the power factor to unity, reduces amps and watts to the meter (cash register) that saves the customer money!

So even if the PF coming into the building is over 90%, it does not relate to the individual motors because of the I²R losses and the inefficiently of the motors and the electromagnetic fields (EMF) that they develop. The KVAR® EC systems store the reactive power to create the EMF around the inductive windings of a motor. As motors operate, reactive power is “pulled” and “pushed” to and from the KVAR® EC system by the motor at 60 cycles per second. The KVAR® EC system stores & releases to motors what they need to function more efficiently. The KVAR® EC systems remove the I²R losses, increase the efficiency of the motors and removes the PF penalty charges if they are imposed. Proof of this is done with PF meters and our optimizing equipment on “live” loads and also a reduction is shown at the utility company’s meter (cash register). The motors will also run cooler so they will last longer which also affects the bottom line dollar for the customer.

Moreover, the motors still get the proper amps and volts that they were designed to do work with but the electric meter (cash register) measures a drastically different number and savings because of the precisely engineered capacitors are installed very close to the motors; usually on the load side of the contactor, the disconnect, or the MCC.

This 21st Century technology is called Power Factor Optimization and is only available through Kvar Energy Savings, Inc. with their patented methodology and apparatus. In a few minutes on live loads, a qualified and trained KVAR® professional can accurately determine to an exact science how much capacitance is required to optimize the inductive loads to unity. This creates an ideal balance resulting in a significant reduction in electricity usage which facilitates a maximum savings on electricity costs with a rapid ROI. This information is then charted into our exclusive software for the pre-engineered systems to be customized for the client’s equipment.
Find out more October 3rd and 4th at an information seminar at the Mission Valley Crown Plaza. For information leave message.
A former member
Post #: 269
Nice advert. I wish we'd have more adverts like this and less billboard babes.

What's missing are examples for residential home owners. Like would this help on washing machines? Submerged water pumps? Garbage disposals? Where would a normal house hold benefit from these capacitors? And how much can home owners expect to save?
Ed F.
user 3520782
San Diego, CA
Post #: 7
You're product, if I'm understanding correctly, reduces peak electric demand (KW) charge on utility bills. This would be useful to commercial and industrial electric customers, most likely not residential. Is Beacon Power with their flywheel electric storage device a competitor? Would an energy audit done by a professional engineer identify the need for such a device? And wouldn't they first resize the electric motor for the load (downsize if possible) before recommending this kind of optimization? Thanks!
Harold L
user 6850407
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
You're product, if I'm understanding correctly, reduces peak electric demand (KW) charge on utility bills. This would be useful to commercial and industrial electric customers, most likely not residential. Is Beacon Power with their flywheel electric storage device a competitor? Would an energy audit done by a professional engineer identify the need for such a device? And wouldn't they first resize the electric motor for the load (downsize if possible) before recommending this kind of optimization? Thanks!

Good morning Ed
This device is called KVAR the technology is not new about 60 years or so. Are inventor came up with an idea (17 years ago) and an apparatus that will measure the exact amount of capacitance needed to bring a motor back to unity.
I have done some very large motors mostly on AC units saving as much as 909 amps in a month and incressing the optimization on the motors by 27.00% and saving to the customer $16,000 a month and the ROI was 6 months.
On a residence its not that dramatic. We can guarantee a 6% savings but what we actually see is 16% to 19% savings.
The difference on residence to commercial. On a residence we go to a panel mount which will correct the power factor through out the whole house on any motor. On a commercial we correct the power factor on each motor if that is what makes since, sometimes we have to go to the panel because the motor is not accessible.
The problem that we have with professional engineers is they aren't familiar with power factor correction but once they see a demonstration its like turning the light bulb on.
Down sizing motors is very expensive and so is Variable Speed Drives (VSD), KVAR is pretty cheap. On a KVAR unit the ROI is around 6 to 12 months. Also KVAR increases the life of a motor it makes it more efficient, it runs cooler less wear and tear on the wires and motors.
I'll have to look up Becon Power I don't know who they are.
We are holding a information, training seminar Oct 3rd and 4th at the Crown Plaza Hotel Misssion Valley San Diego from 9am till 1 pm the cost is $20.
Any time that you would like to see a demonstration I would be happy to show you just contact me 858-945-1047.
A former member
Post #: 272
I wonder if off grid systems have to worry about this since the batteries already act like a big capacitor. Do you know the answer Harold?
Harold L
user 6850407
San Diego, CA
Post #: 3
Where are the off grid systems installed? What do you mean by off line?
There shouldn't be any problem, KVAR is installed in parallel on the load side. It doesn't have any effect other than it stores energy until needed. The only thing that we can't install it on is VSDs (Variable Speed Drives).