addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Photography Collective Message Board › LaJolla Shores Surfing Association 12th Annual Contest - Photographers Needed

LaJolla Shores Surfing Association 12th Annual Contest - Photographers Needed

Dan C.
DanchusiD
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2,513
I'm posting this for one of our members, Nick Vanmatre. Contact Nick if you have any questions:
http://www.meetup.com...­

Event:
Photographers Needed for:
La Jolla Shores Surfing Association
12th Annual Menehune Surf Contest
Date: Saturday, April 28, 2012
Time: 7 AM through early afternoon
Locations: La Jolla Shores Beach near North bathrooms (Tower 33)

What the photographer gets: Free BBQ Lunch, Event T-Shirt, Chance to pass out business cards, your business name, if you have one, announced on the PA system, and photographer credit if any photos are used for their flyer for any other events.

What the LJ Surfing Association wants: Photographers to take and give surf and "color shots" of participants, officials, and audience during the event. If any of your photos are used in their flyers, you will be given credit for the photo.
The photos will not be sold or released to other people or organizations without your approval.

Obviously good photos are appreciated but finely "photoshopped" images are not necessary. Photos should be digitally provided as JPEG images of medium size. I'm guessing a file no larger than 5-8 Megabytes is sufficient. I think you would be able to email them to the Association President, Ms Lorraine Schmalenberger. Those details will be provided at the event.

I attended this event last year and just happened to provide photos to the Association. As a result Ms Schmalenberger approached me for this year. Due to my lung disease, I am really not able to shoot/stand for even moderate lengths of time. I did tell them that I would be there, but could not promise a "long-standing" participation. Hey, I can still tell a joke!

"YES" RSVPs are needed very quickly so your name can be typed into the event program. If they prepare the program before you submit your RSVP, you will not have your name written, but you will be announced at the event a few times.

This is a great opportunity for photographers to work on their beach and surf shooting, along with many willing "models" for street/beach shooting. If a shooter as inexperienced as I am can do this, YOU can also. Look at it this way. You are not getting paid, so there isn't any pressure on you to absolutely produce great photos. It is a chance to shoot an event with "official" standing.

I am placing a maximum number of eight (8) photograhers for this meetup. You can contact me, Nick Vanmatre (Nikyvee on this meetup site) at my meetup email contact address. Leave your email address or phone number for a followup contact by myself. You will have the option of selecting approximately two hour blocks for shooting from a little before 7 AM, when the first round begins, until early afternoon. My opinion is that the best shooting time will be in the morning through noon. You don't want to miss the free lunch~~

Here is the URL for the LaJolla Shores Surfing Association. Click on the 12th Annual LSSA Menehume Event. http://www.ljssa.org/...­

Happy shooting! Keep the camera dry~~
Nick Vanmatre - Nikyvee
Nikyvee
Nikyvee
San Diego, CA
Post #: 121
Dan, Other Members of San Diego Photography Collective.

By 2 PM, this day the notice of the Surf contest went out, I already have nine folks on my list. I will send out email to all who are on the list. That includes at this point: Roy Ang, Danny Levy, Robert Bussino, Don Sheffler, James ??, Steve Parr, Shiela Newberry, Pep Garcia, and Claudia Perez.

Unfortunately I don't think the Association can use more semi-official photoraphers. HOwever, I will point out that this is a public beach and there is no law that says you can't go there and take photographs.

I am very pleased at the quick response. I will get info out soon. I'm just swamped this afternoon.

I also am sorry that this was done without a formal RSVP procedure in place. I know that is my fault. I was told that to get the names on the program, I had to have the names to the Surf Association by today. I am submitting them now, but they may not make it into the program... It should be fun; it sure was last year.,
Nick
Sue S.
ScottishSue
San Diego, CA
Post #: 23
Dan, Other Members of San Diego Photography Collective.

By 2 PM, this day the notice of the Surf contest went out, I already have nine folks on my list. I will send out email to all who are on the list. That includes at this point: Roy Ang, Danny Levy, Robert Bussino, Don Sheffler, James ??, Steve Parr, Shiela Newberry, Pep Garcia, and Claudia Perez.

Unfortunately I don't think the Association can use more semi-official photoraphers. HOwever, I will point out that this is a public beach and there is no law that says you can't go there and take photographs.

I am very pleased at the quick response. I will get info out soon. I'm just swamped this afternoon.

I also am sorry that this was done without a formal RSVP procedure in place. I know that is my fault. I was told that to get the names on the program, I had to have the names to the Surf Association by today. I am submitting them now, but they may not make it into the program... It should be fun; it sure was last year.,
Nick
I am disappointed. ..I have been practicing surf photography and was so excited to see this message. I have been on a train for hours and the Amtrak wireless is not so great, so i could not respond until now.
Oh well...can you put my name on a wait list for next year?

Thanks

Scottish Sue

Nikyvee
Nikyvee
San Diego, CA
Post #: 122
Sue, La Jolla Shores beach is a public beach and there is no reason that you, or any one for that matter, can go there and take photos. So it would still be a good place to go and work on taking surf photos. Be sure and take a long lens, if you have one. If not, take as long a zoom that you have. It does take practice to take good surf photos. This will be a good practice session for me! NIck
A former member
Post #: 143
I'm looking forward to this.

When might we expect more details? Where and when to check in, and with whom, etc?
A former member
Post #: 144
Anything?

Bueller?

I need to arrange for transportation, so the more head's up I have the better.

Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 145
Thanks for the e-mail, Nick!