addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Photography Collective Message Board › Down With Silver Gelatin?

Down With Silver Gelatin?

A former member
Post #: 1
I am sorta new to the world of photography. I have fallen madly in love with it thought. I have completed both the basic and intermediate black and white photography classes, so I work with film and have not had the opportunity to learn digital. I feel as thought film is a thing of the past and no one really uses it anymore? I look forward to taking a digital class in the future, but is there others that truly no longer use film? It has been a long while since I have lived here in San Diego, I thought there was a photo lab that one could pay to develop prints if one did not have their own dark room...does anyone have any information on a place like that? Thanks for any help. Cheers!
Dan C.
DanchusiD
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2,561
There are several places around town that still develop and print film. Among them are:
Giant Photo
http://www.giantphoto...­
Nelson Photo
George's Camera
Costco Warehouses
Walgreens
Albertson's

Here's a list with a few others around town, that came up on a web search:
http://www.yelp.com/s...­

There are still quite a few members in the group that shoot film or a combination of film and digital.

I have a collection of film cameras, most of which I recently acquired. Quite a few are for sale if there is anyone looking for a good modern 35mm, inexpensive 35mm or vintage camera, plus lenses.
Willie
user 11756057
San Diego, CA
Post #: 17
Hello MexicanFlower,

I use Gaslamp Photo primarily for true b/w, C41 b/w, and C41 color processing (onsite). Excellent/No problems. Usually have them develop only or sometimes develop/scan. So far one business day turn around maximum.

Also "sometimes" use Fromex Photo , but they have 3-4 day turn around. Haven't use them recently.

I also like the processing of North Coast Photographic Services, but they are just too far from home. But I like Gaslamp's scans a little better.

They all make prints...but none made for me...yet.

90% Digital/10% Film

Willie
A former member
Post #: 119
i use gaslamp photo too if i don't have time the guy there is great he has always had my film the nest day i only get negs no prints also let him know u are a student
me to willie 80 digital -20 or so in film
any inferred shooters i have the film but never shot it need some one to help me with it
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks everyone for the developing info. I think I am just going to wait until I put together my own dark room. I like doing manipulating the developing process as well as when I print. I dunno if I could have someone else do it for me. I will still look into it though. biggrin