The San Diego Photography Collective Message Board › good place to purchase filters and such?

good place to purchase filters and such?

Moviola
MarciB
San Diego, CA
Post #: 56
Can anyone recommend a reputable online store for filters? I've seen a few places selling them for $10 or more off the prices at the big name sites. I'll be purchasing Hoya filters, need the slim design for the wide angle.

And without getting into a discussion of whether I need a general protective or UV filter or not, I've made up my mind. I'm putting a filter on the lens. I would like to hear suggestions on whether I should go for a skylight or UV or others as a general protective filter.

Marci
Andy K.
user 2337736
San Marcos, CA
Post #: 294
I've used both B&H and Adorama for many years, spending far too many of my hard earned dollars at each establishment. They are aboveboard, honest in their business dealings and ship promptly.

Everything I've ordered through them is generally in stock, unless it's a new item and initial demand is great. At that point, it becomes first come, first served. I've never had a problem with either of them. Prices between the two are rather similar, but check both sites, as one may have certain items slightly lower than the other or may be running a sale. Both offer free shipping on many items.

As for skylight vs. UV filter, I understand that a UV filter works better at high altitudes to cut out rays. Don't know personally, it's what I've read. I gotta throw this in also: I used to put on protective filters on all of my glass for years, but came to the conclusion that they aren't necessary for my use. A photojournalist or someone planning a shoot in a sirocco would certainly find a benefit in using them. Haze filters were my choice for their supposed properties of minimizing atmospheric shmutz, especially in lower elevations where this is more pronounced.

https://www.adorama.com/­

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/­
Cynthia S.
user 14642844
San Diego, CA
Post #: 6
I definitely recommend B&H! This is one online company that if you have a problem (whether it's rude customer service or product), they respond and will do their darnedest to rectify. I love them (although, I do try to shop locally as I'm big on contributing to the local economy). :)
Moviola
MarciB
San Diego, CA
Post #: 57
I've bought plenty of items from both Adorama and B&H, they both have great service and extensive stock. But they charge full retail prices in order to do all that. I was hoping to find a reseller for accessories (filters, hoods, I need a few brackets, etc.) that wouldn't further drain my now empty wallet.

And by all means, sell me on another brand. Thus far, I haven't found Tiffen or B+W to be any cheaper.
Andy K.
user 2337736
San Marcos, CA
Post #: 295
Hate to break the news to you, but you do get what you pay for, ESPECIALLY when it comes to filters!

O.K: buy a good polarizing filter, grad, ND, or (insert whatever flavor) and some step-up or step-down rings to accommodate all of your different lenses... but buying cheap filters defeats the purpose of attaining the best possible files one can attain with the equipment at hand, and to buy cheap filters just to save your front element from potentially getting scratched or marred in some way really doesn't make sense when one is doing general photography (sans sirocco scenario). The only person I would recommend doing this, is one who has a chronic habit of dropping lenses on the ground. In this situation, it could help to soften the blow. Spend your hard earned cash for the hoods and brackets, etc. you also need.

If you're looking for name brand good quality filters that are cheaper than what the big boyz offer, I doubt you will ever find that golden goose. Camera filters are moneymakers for both the manufacturers and those that sell them. Your best bet then would be to scour the eBay and Craigslist sites.
Graham R.
user 63556122
San Diego, CA
Post #: 3
Newegg.com has name brands and good quality products that are reasonably priced. Quantities are limited though. I have been satisfied with all my purchases from them and their customer service.

I also suggest checking Yelp.com or Google reviews of .com's before purchasing to find out other people's experience with the company and how they rate.
Moviola
MarciB
San Diego, CA
Post #: 58
Thanks, folks. I've encountered cheap filters in the past and in addition to being poorly made in the first place, the coatings come off or they don't clean properly. I know filters are a way for the camera sellers to make a few extra dollars on your way out to the door, so I was hoping that a company that specializes in them would provide better deals.

I was already planning on the step up ring idea, thanks, those are great way to save money.

I also like to use resellerratings.com for customer reviews, in addition to reading the forums.