The San Diego Photography Collective Message Board › Photos at the Beach

Photos at the Beach

A former member
Does anyone have any advice on taking pictures at the beach of people. Like the best time, the best location of the sun or any other info that may be helpful to me. Please feel free, all comments are welcome. Thanx
Sarah M.
samorgan
San Diego, CA
Hi Levi501:

The best time to photograph people at the beach is either very early in the morning or about a half hour before sunset. I start with using the sun as a backlight and then when it gets soft enough I turn the group and use the sun to light their faces. I hope this helps.

Sarah
A former member
Hi Levi501:

The best time to photograph people at the beach is either very early in the morning or about a half hour before sunset. I start with using the sun as a backlight and then when it gets soft enough I turn the group and use the sun to light their faces. I hope this helps.

Sarah

Thanx a lot Sarah, if you have any other suggestions at anytime please let me know. Thanx again
Dan C.
DanchusiD
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
I find that virtually ANYTIME, great photos can be had at the beach depending on what your're shooting.

You should of course shoot with the sun behind you (if possible), watching the position of shadows and especially shadows on your subjects.

Early and later in the day are optimum for even tones and I find overcast days are especially good for shooting just about anywhere.

Filters can help immensely when shooting in bright conditions.

Using flash when the sun is strong can bring your subject out nicely. Experiment to get the right distances and angles.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

- Dan cool