The San Diego Urban Exploration Meetup Group Message Board › Ideas for UE Outings

Ideas for UE Outings

Nathan
ibtrotter
Imperial Beach, CA
Post #: 34
With the approach of Fall, the weather is cooling down, and people are getting back into their normal routines. Anyone have ideas for outings that can be set up? Post them here, and see what others think. If people seem interested, I can schedule an event.

I'd like to visit the inundated towns, mudpots and CO2 (pots, springs?) along the shores of the Salton Sea http://urbanexplor.me...­
A former member
Post #: 50
The Salton Sea has been on my list for a while. It'll make a good trip for a large group, unlike other discreet sites. I'll see if there are some other stops on the dive out there. Prolly October is the earliest for desert exploration.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm up for a Salton Sea adventure......have heard about these places and have been waiting for an opportunity to photograph. How about late October ? By the way, the Sierra Club Photography Section is offering a weekend workshop in the Laguna Mountains on the weekend of October 14,15. Low cost, interesting speakers, friendly photographers, all levels welcome. Check the website for details. Hope to see some of you there. smile
Nathan
ibtrotter
Imperial Beach, CA
Post #: 43
Plaster City looks like it might be intersting--driven by it dozens of times, but never explored it. Tapiado Mud Caves aren't exactly urban, but do want to explore them. Anyone have info?
Dan C.
DanchusiD
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1,069
I'd be up for this.

Been out to Salvation Mountain, Slab City and Bombay Beach on the eastern
side of the Salton Sea a couple times in the past year.

Cool spot to explore and do photography.
http://www.pbase.com/...­
Took these out there too:

Dan C.
DanchusiD
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1,070
Bombay Beach is pretty interesting but you'd need some sort of
washable boots to navigate the black gooey stuff thats under the mud
as you walk.

Good place to ruin your sneakers!

A former member
Yes, Plaster City. It's always intriqued me too, looming up there in the desert. I have no idea what goes on there anymore. I assume nothing. Which just makes it more intriquing. I'm thinking the even Calexico would have some interesting little forgotten corners that would be good to explore. Have you all been on the back road frome 94- the 8 that goes through Campo? That's a place full of great photo ops if you like old cars and trains and remnants of buildings.

Salton Sea sounds good too. Where do you get cheap mud boots?
Nathan
ibtrotter
Imperial Beach, CA
Post #: 51
It sounds like the interest is there! Should we do this as a 1 day event, or an overnighter? Going via the 94 would be nice--lots of photo ops along the way; beautiful country. We could even cut into Mexico , taking route 2 from Tecate to Mexicali, and then come back on the 8. Just throwing out ideas. It might be best if we get together to hash things out, but I'm going to Magic Mtn on the 14th (the next UE meetup date). Should we schedule a planning dinner, or the like, or just post and email?

Cheap mud boots: any feed store or farm supply--Ramona, Lakeside, Jamul, Santee, maybe even Chula Vista.
A former member
Check out this site for some interesting ideas on explorations: http://www.actionsqua...­

Here are other ideas:

Intaglios are located off of I-8 and the Ocotillo exit, going south toward Mexico. They used to be cited, I think, in the Shad book but don't think they are in it anymore.

Desert Tower off of I-8 just east of Jacumba and then following the old I-8 east (ruins left from when the highway was washed out by reminants of a hurricane),

Train tunnels (very off-limits) north of I-8 off of the Jacumba exit (hike takes you on private land, used to be guarded by unfriendly gun-toating guy, hike passes the perimeter of a nudist-camp)

Jacumba itself may have hidden treasures as it used to be a bustling town when the highway passed through it. It's claim to fame used to be its' hotsprings

Closer in...
I hear there are tunnels somewhere under the UCSD campus - don't know more than that though

Maybe there are possibilities on the old NTC base in areas not being built up
A former member
Post #: 2
It sounds like the interest is there! Should we do this as a 1 day event, or an overnighter? Going via the 94 would be nice--lots of photo ops along the way; beautiful country. We could even cut into Mexico , taking route 2 from Tecate to Mexicali, and then come back on the 8. Just throwing out ideas. It might be best if we get together to hash things out, but I'm going to Magic Mtn on the 14th (the next UE meetup date). Should we schedule a planning dinner, or the like, or just post and email?

Cheap mud boots: any feed store or farm supply--Ramona, Lakeside, Jamul, Santee, maybe even Chula Vista.

Plaster City is about to host a really kool event - a huge rocket launch that happens in 10 days from today (9/25). Check it out at: http://www.plasterbla...­