addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Urban Exploration Meetup Group Message Board › Setting Up Regular Annual Urban Exploring Trips

Setting Up Regular Annual Urban Exploring Trips

A former member
Post #: 86
After the Jamul mines trip we did yesterday, we discussed the possibility of having regular annual UE trips held about once a month. The idea was to cover some of the best UE sites in San Diego on an annual basis, so that newcomers to the group or those who haven't been before can experience these sites. If each organizer could lead one or two trips a year, we could have a regular UE trip every month or so.

So what we need now is a list of the top 12 or so UE sites around San Diego and who's going to lead them and when. Here's a start. Feel free top add any you think we should do regularly.

• Atlas Missile Sites near Poway | Best done when it's not too hot | drdave? |
  • Border Field State Park and Bunkers | Whenever | Nathan |
  • Banner Mines | Not in winter | ?? |
  • Draining trip, maybe downtown | Best done when the rains end around April | ?? |
  • Salton City/Slab City/Salvation Mountain | mid-January during Slab City talent show | Dan/Nathan/drdave |
  • Tapiado mud caves| Some time in winter | ?? |
  • Lake Hodges Flume | When it's not too hot | drdave |
  • Carrizo Gorge/Goat Canyon Trestle | when it's not too hot | ?? |
  • Mt. Laguna Air Force Station | NOW DEFUNCT |

Feel free to add more and let's see if we can find a leader for each trip and figure out when to do it, nothing is set in stone, just need to get this group back on track.
Jen, G.
Walking_Hiking
San Diego, CA
Post #: 227
What constitutes a UE hike? Because there are plenty of great places to explore that do not necessarily have bunkers, caves, and retired aircraft. I was under the impression that this was for a variety of different and cool places.
Dan C.
DanchusiD
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2,137
What constitutes a UE hike? Because there are plenty of great places to explore that do not necessarily have bunkers, caves, and retired aircraft. I was under the impression that this was for a variety of different and cool places.

Many of our members and "urban explorers" in general, enjoy exploring abandoned places and/or just places off the beaten path that the average jane or joe rarely venture out to. I suppose that's what urban exploring is in a nutshell.

Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.o...­
Urban exploration (often shortened as urbex or UE) is the examination of the normally unseen or off-limits parts of urban areas or industrial facilities.[1] Urban exploration is also commonly referred to as infiltration, although some people consider infiltration to be more closely associated with the exploration of active or inhabited sites. It may also be referred to as "draining" (when exploring drains) "urban spelunking", "urban caving", or "building hacking".
The nature of this activity presents various risks, including both physical danger and the possibility of arrest and punishment. Many, but not all, of the activities associated with urban exploration could be considered trespassing or other violations of local or regional laws, including—but not limited to—invasion of privacy and certain broadly-interpreted anti-terrorism laws.

PS: I'm stoked to do some more UE soon after my long hiatus.
Bring it on!
A former member
Post #: 16
I stickied this, think it deserves to be to the top to address all the ideas for spots etc.

Agreed on what Dave said^^^^

This week I'll really focus on finding out the history of SD and any factories or manufacturing type areas we can hit up, time to research away for abandonment!!!

Well just did a quick search, we might have luck in the shipyards... Seems to me that's where in the begging san diego's main resource was coming from... As well as other military installations, but I am pretty sure Mt. Laguana is the only one so far that was abandoned.

Or "college" / "utility tunnels"

http://tunnels.tripod...­

That is a link to the UCSD tunnels.
Jen, G.
Walking_Hiking
San Diego, CA
Post #: 230
I posted a hike walk a few months ago in the Tijuana Estuary near the bunkers and no one showed up
Jen, G.
Walking_Hiking
San Diego, CA
Post #: 231
I posted a hike walk a few months ago in the Tijuana Estuary near the bunkers and no one showed up

I found this link http://urbanexplorers...­ The only hikes I do where you explore abandoned stuff and caves and such are the La Jolla 13 mile hike and the Cabrillo hike. I will do some research to find something more suited to this group's tastes
Jen, G.
Walking_Hiking
San Diego, CA
Post #: 232
Put me down for the UCSD Tunnels. I will check it out first and then post
Jen, G.
Walking_Hiking
San Diego, CA
Post #: 234
After the Jamul mines trip we did yesterday, we discussed the possibility of having regular annual UE trips held about once a month. The idea was to cover some of the best UE sites in San Diego on an annual basis, so that newcomers to the group or those who haven't been before can experience these sites. If each organizer could lead one or two trips a year, we could have a regular UE trip every month or so.

So what we need now is a list of the top 12 or so UE sites around San Diego and who's going to lead them and when. Here's a start. Feel free top add any you think we should do regularly.

• Atlas Missile Sites near Poway | Best done when it's not too hot | drdave? |
  • Border Field State Park and Bunkers | Whenever | Nathan |
  • Banner Mines | Not in winter | ?? |
  • Draining trip, maybe downtown | Best done when the rains end around April | ?? |
  • Salton City/Slab City/Salvation Mountain | mid-January during Slab City talent show | Dan/Nathan/drdave |
  • Tapiado mud caves| Some time in winter | ?? |
  • Lake Hodges Flume | When it's not too hot | drdave |
  • Carrizo Gorge/Goat Canyon Trestle | when it's not too hot | ?? |
  • Mt. Laguna Air Force Station | NOW DEFUNCT |

Feel free to add more and let's see if we can find a leader for each trip and figure out when to do it, nothing is set in stone, just need to get this group back on track.

HERE IS A LINK TO SOME MINES IN JULIAN
http://www.hiddensand...­
A former member
Post #: 1
Looks like this thread has been around for a while, but since I just got here, I thought I would jump in and see if there's any interest in setting up a trip to do some exploring? I just did the Salton Sea, though I'm sure there's tons more that I didn't see - haven't done slab city yet... looking for good sites closer to home (I live in Encinitas and work in Mission Valley). Anyone up for a trek?