Welcome to the San Antonio Nature Hounds meetup group!
Please read this page before joining.
Limitation of Liability. San Antonio Nature Hounds (SANH) is a free, community group run by volunteers. By becoming a member of or participating in Meetup Gatherings held by SANH, you agree that in no event shall SANH or its volunteers be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if SANH has been advised of the possibility of such damages), arising out of or in connection with our Meetups or this Agreement or transportation to or from Meetup Gatherings, attendance at Meetup Gatherings, participation in or exclusion from Meetup Gatherings and the actions of you or others at Meetup Gatherings.What we're about:
It can be hard enough to get motivated to take your dog to get the exercise he needs, let alone yourself. Nature Hounds is about getting out and getting moving- for our dogs sakes as well as our own. Well exercised dogs are happy, well behaved dogs, and well behaved dogs have happy owners! We welcome anyone who enjoys spending time with their dogs and other people who feel the same, and if you don't have a dog, feel free to join up, too, as long as you're dog-friendly!Group Rules and Safety Guidelines:
FAQ:Q: This group sounds fun, but I've never been hiking before. Do you have to be experienced?
- Please have dogs leashed at all times unless the meetup event rules specifically say 'off leash play' is allowed.
- Please refrain from using retractible leashes. 6 foot nylon or leather leashes are sufficient length as we will be on trails with plants and trees on either side, often in parks with historical value that wouldn't want dogs trampling the vegetation.
- Make sure to pick up after your dogs. Some parks we will visit will have pick up bags on hand and some will not, so bring a couple just to be safe!
- Please do not bring puppies who have not completed their vaccinations. We will be visiting public places
where many other dogs have been and the risk to puppies is too great. Some trails may not be suitable for young puppies, even if fully vaccinated, because of the difficulty level.
- If an off leash play date is scheduled all pets that attend must be spayed and neutered.
- Make sure to keep your dog under control at all times, and do not allow it to run up to other people or dogs on the trail. You don't have a way of judging the other dog's temperament or knowing whether another person appreciates meeting your dog, so unless they ask to pet, keep 'em reigned in.
- Always be respectful of other hikers, whether members of our group or not.
- Please make an effort to stay active in the group- if you can't make a meetup let us know by RSVPing 'no'. This will give us a more accurate idea of who is still interested and who is not, and who will be showing up at meetups.
- Have fun!
A: No, this group is open to all experience levels. Most of the group are not going to be experienced hikers, and we will be picking locations that will allow all experience levels to enjoy the day.Q: Is there any limit on the size of dogs that can participate? Or the number of dogs one person can walk?
A: There are no limits or restrictions. Dogs of every size and breed are welcome to join us, and members are welcome to bring as many or as few dogs as they are able to control. A dog isn't even required to join!Q: Where will the meetups be held?
A: There are a lot of trails and nature walks around San Antonio and nearby surrounding areas. Meetups will be held only at parks, state parks, and trails that are 100% dog friendly.Q: I would love to go on one of your hikes, but I don't think my dog is well behaved enough. He would pull and drag me for the whole hike!
A: We have many experienced dog handlers within our group that will be more than happy to offer their suggestions on how to make your pet behave when out in public.