The San Carlos Book Club is a longstanding group of women who meet every second Tuesday (usually!) for dinner and lively discussion of our latest read. The restaurant is chosen from favorite spots in San Carlos or nearby Belmont and Redwood City, with the dinner reservation set for 6:30pm. We choose our books by democratic process (come with a few suggestions in mind!). To keep things interesting, we rotate through literary fiction, popular fiction, and even the occasional non-fiction pick. We pick books that have been released in paperback, so we don't have to spend a fortune to buy it if the San Mateo County Library system doesn't have enough copies to go around.
Past book picks include:
• The Sacred Book of the Werewolf by Victor Pelevin
• The Dubliners by Jame Joyce
• The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton
• A Mercy by Toni Morrison
• The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
• A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
• The Hakawati by Rabih Alameddine
• Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
• The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
• Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
• The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
• The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
• The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
If you'd like to join, just respond to our profile questions and Allison will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks for your interest---we can't wait to meet you!!!