San Diego Art House Movies Message Board › Anita O'Day: The Life of a Jazz Singer

Anita O'Day: The Life of a Jazz Singer

A former member
Post #: 7
Hi,
My apologies if I am not following proper Arthouse Movies Meetup etiquette. I had a date to see this film at the Ken on Wednesday. Well the date was broken, but I am still interested in going to the Ken to see the film, Anita O'Day: The Life of a Jazz Singer, at 7:15 this Wednesday, Jan 7th. Also considering the 5:00pm bargain show.

Going to the movies alone in the evening can be a drag. As I also see if any of my friends want to go -- if anyone from the Arthouse Movies Meetup group is interested in seeing this on Wednesday night please reply here or send me a note.

Anita O'Day: The Life of a Jazz Singer

Anita O'Day, who debuted with the Gene Krupa Band in the 1940s, was one of the greatest of American jazz singers. This is her astonishing story—a journey of survival told in a number of frank interviews with her and with those who knew her. A musical genius and pioneer who broke reverse race barriers, she was commonly regarded as one of the top female artists of her time, together with Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holiday. O'Day lived her life the way she wanted without ever looking back. She speaks openly about how she had to overcome great adversities, including a 20-year addiction to heroin and alcohol. Friends talk about her quirky personality, while jazz critics and her contemporaries speak of her extraordinary talent. Packed with wonderful musical performances, the film shows Anita on tour in Europe well into her eighties, and making that final recording shortly before her death.

See the landmark theaters San Diego site for more information http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/SanDiego/SanDiego_Frameset.htm­
A former member
Post #: 9
This film documentary is very good. An interesting short summary of Anita O'Day's life and career. If you like music you will like the film. Her vocal talent was amazing, but its the feeling she had for the music that really shines. A very impressive woman -- She must have really been something to see, and hear, back in the day. She recorded many albums over the years, that I plan to search for and give a listen.

I caught the 5:00 bargain show tonight. There was a good sized crowd there. No takers here from the Arthouse Movie Meetup Group -- but thanks to those that showed interest. The show is at the Ken one more day through tomorrow, Thursday.

Regards,
Jeff