San Jose Mountain Biking Message Board Tool Time! › 1x9 setups?

1x9 setups?

Norman
ncruz408
San Jose, CA
Post #: 11
I currently have a single speed mountain bike and thinking of converting it to a 1x9 setup. I am very new to the scene and was wondering if anyone has experience in this type of conversion. It seems simple to do but wanted to get some insight. If anyone is interested in walking me through it, I will pay you for your time and of course buy a case of beer for you or dinner for that matter. Let me know.
David
Madmaxwell
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 140
I'll take your case of beer Norman. I run a 1x9 on my hardtail an love it. Not having the choice but to hammer and grind on climbs is awesome. Of course coming from a single speed you would be used to that sort of thing. Adding the gears would just add a little relieve on long climbs and give you some more top end on flats and decents.

The main thing to consider is chain retention. Other than that you really just need the running gear (i.e. shifter, cable, derailleur, and cassette.) Let me know if you want to meet up some time to take a look at what you're working with. Do you know if your frame has a derailleur hanger on it? I can bring my bike and meet you sometime so you can see what I'm running.

-David
Norman
ncruz408
San Jose, CA
Post #: 12
Awesome bro! Saturdays are pretty much my open days since I work 9-6pm on weekdays and Sundays are with the family. I am trying to sell my single speed but if nothing comes up by end of x-mas I most likely will convert it for the new year. LOL, trying to sell it so I can pick up a road or cyclocross bike for some road riding. I would love to check out your bike and see how it is setup.
A former member
Post #: 155
What's it gonna be, 11-36T cassette with a 32 or 36 chainring? Just make sure your chainstays can handle it.

shock

If I sit around the garage and watch you guys work while offering somewhat useless advice and bad jokes, can I drink some of those beer with you?

devilish
David
Madmaxwell
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 141
Sounds like a good time to me Dean. I think his hard tail can could handle those combos easy. Look at Collin, he's a machine running a 40t with the 11-36 1x10 setup. Makes me look like a chump.

Norman, Saturdays can be a little iffy for me as my weekend schedule is flipped (Saturdays with the wife) but I'm sure I could get away for a couple hours. This Saturday is no good but I could do the next one possibly. What time were you thinking?
Norman
ncruz408
San Jose, CA
Post #: 13
Let me see. no rush =) For a shopping list is this all i need? Rear 9 speed derailuer short cage, rear wheel with shimano/sram 9 cog capable, 9 speed cassette, shifter/cables? anything else I am missing?
Ross
user 12424725
Fremont, CA
Post #: 31
chain?
some sort of chain management?
David
Madmaxwell
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Post #: 143
Absolutely recommend some kind of chain retention system. I'm running a mrp lopes 1x guide right now on my fisher 1x9 and love it. Super light and effective.