addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

San Antonio Sportbike Riders Message Board › Anti Theft Suggestions?

Anti Theft Suggestions?

A former member
Post #: 480
Moe and many others in our merry little band have lost their pride n joy to theives lately. I have seen many elaborate alarm systems. But since the average theft takes about 10 seconds, it would seem that the best defense against 2 goons tossing your bike in the back of a van would be to actually lock your bike to something. I have seen small diameter cable locks that when uncoiled are about 8 feet long and are strong enoughj to resist cutters or even a plasma torch. Any other ideas?
Ty A.
PincheSquidly
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 76
I use a couple of things. Firstly I have the biggest baddest $200 kryptonite lock system that they make. You have to take a torch or grinder to it. Too much noise, too much risk, not worth it. I also park it in my doorway(apartment) right outside my bedroom window. Im 6 feet from it. I also keep my 12 gauge by the bed. I don't care if I shoot my bike full of holes, Im killing whoever tries to take it, just on principle...

:-)
Adan
RazorsDragon
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 811
When I got my first bike I would use a disc brake lock. I thought it was perfect it even made a loud annoying chirpping sound when tampered with. Then one day (a few years ago in Corpus Christi) A truck pulled up next to a parked Harley two guys exited the truck and stuck a 2x4 between the forks picked it up and dumped it in the back of the truck and drove off. A lot of people made efforts to catch up to the truck, but 10 seconds or less was just too damn quick with the distance where everyone was at, and they were non-chalant about it no one knew what was happening till they were sticking the 2x4 through the bike, and people started shouting. Now I carry my CHL and a SR9c along with a full clip of 147 grain Hydra-Shok rounds.

Ross E.
user 36821362
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 15
If a thief is motivated enough nothing is going to stop them. I park in a locked garage and I still know that if someone really wanted my bike, they'd be able to take it. I'd say the game isn't prevention, it is mitigation. Carry coverage for theft.
Adan
RazorsDragon
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 812
I'd say the game isn't prevention, it is mitigation.

Well put brother!
A former member
Post #: 540
You really cannot own a bike, parking it in a lot or outside and expect it to stick around for long. So I'd say a garage is step one.

Step two...lock your garage up AND zip tie the interior manual latch so that thieves can't wedge the center of the garage door and and pull down the manual release with a wire hangar. Also, don't leave your keys in the ignition even if the bike is in the privacy of your own home. Finally, don't be one of those folks that leaves your garage door open all day for everyone in the neighborhood to case what's inside. Just because you're home doesn't mean it's intelligent to showcase the interior of your garage.

Step three...don't Facebook everything you do when you're doing it. Many modern day burglaries are due to someone posting up that they're across town having a drink with their girlfriends or buddy's.

Lastly, yes you can spend some cash for chains and alarms and locks, but as stated that's just keeping honest people honest. A more dedicated thief will still get the bike. A last line to help reduce the risk would be physical damage / theft insurance.

A former member
Post #: 34
Just a suggestion- For about $175, you will not stop the theft, but, maybe, can help the police find it with the on-demand tracker and no monthly fees, from Rocky Mountain Tracking.

http://www.rmtracking...­

A former member
Post #: 481
Good points, all. Although Ty and Adan, remind me not to ever piss y'all off, lest I get repeatedly riddled w holes. Didn't know about the the no monthly fee tracker, which seems like a great idea. If you do need litigation, Ross is your man. And when it comes to theft insurance, its def a necessity, but know that because of the high rate of fraud in that particular category, it can easily be 6 months before you collect, and expect no more than trade in reimbursement, which is really bad news if your upside down on your note.
Alvin
user 42595972
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 9
I never leave my bike unattended. Id say best security is a garage at your place and be careful who you ride with and letting them know where you live. My bike is old but I worked hard to have it and if someone takes it there taking 50 round of 7.62 rounds along with it haha. No sympathy for anything bad that happens to a thief at all...
jesse
user 36581232
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 1
if someone steals......let them feel guilty and pray for them. don't treasure your bike to much. yes appreciate it, but if it gets stolen, pray for the bad guys and god will reward you. just be glad that you are blessed to see another day that god has given us.